Hockey Wilderness

Article: Was Yakov Trenin a Chuck Fletcher-Style Misstep From Bill Guerin?

Verified Member

The main difference between Fletcher and Guerin here is that Fletcher had no clue about team chemistry, and Guerin does. Fletcher continued to try his best and bring in players that just weren't a good fit (whether this was Suter or Parise's doing is debatable). 

Guerin has consistently brought in guys that fit together making the sum greater than the parts. I do not buy into the premise that the Wild didn't learn the lessons from Fletcher. The listed guys here, to my knowledge, were not guys who were endorsed by the coach as must haves. 

Trenin is a known commodity to the coach. Sure, he's more of a "hard to play against defensive guy" but that's where the comparison stops. Underlying numbers don't really tell the story of the comparisons either because Fletcher just found guys and hoped they'd fit, Guerin is much better at finding the right guys who will fit. (This doesn't mean that everything Guerin does finds gold either)

I think we've got to take this as not one of Guerin's guys, but one of Heinzy's guys (and a personal friend of Kaprizov for whipped cream). He's being asked to add something we were lacking last season, more of that grinding mentality. 

I don't know about the rest of you, but I like a team that plays hard and is hard to play against. I love open ice hits and heat seeking missiles headed to the corners. There are 2 ways to get fans out of their seats (well 3 ways):

1. score goals
  2. heavy hits
  3. too much beer

On tv, I can hit pause for #3, but I love the roar of the crowd with the big hits. That gets energy in the building, and I believe gets the skilled guys going. Being a soft team which we were down the stretch is extremely frustrating to watch. Trenin helps solve that which may have been priority #1.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, MacGyver said:

Sounds like the exact guy we need?? Rossi is not one of Billy's boys apparently. So the potential for a bad trade here is real. Billy deals in emotion. Who knows what we would get in return. If Billy really wants him out he's gone. Billy is just keeping his powder dry before he really screws this up. Stay tuned. 

That's what I've heard also is that the steam around Rossi has picked back up. Add to that Guerin was actively trying to bring Laine in has me wondering just WTF Leo is thinking. To me Leo is kind of like a Dan Snyder light with Gm's anyway. I hope like hell he doesn't get involved in picking out the next one.

• Like 1