Hockey Wilderness

Article: Mason Shaw Kicked Ass

Definitely appreciated Shaw's effort/energy and toughness. Hope he has better health for the remainder of his career.

I haven't seen it reported elsewhere, but just saw The Wild are signing defenseman Declan Chisholm to a one-year contract worth $1 million.

• Like 5

In other news there is an athletic article Wild coach John Hynes on player ‘check-ins’ and setting expectations: ‘Comes down to action’. I was able to read it via NYTimes. Not a bad offseason read, talks about setting expectations, what he wants to see from camp and offseason meetings. While it may all be coach speak and lip service I liked what I was reading. There are no set lines or roster spots, those have to be earned. Who will step up to play with the likes of Kap and Ek. Also talk about how guys like Ohgren and Khus impressed last year but need to show up and do it again, but have the same chance as anyone else to make the opening roster.

I really hope this is more than coach speak, holding guys accountable, making every single player earn a spot. Stated several times on how "players need to be better" mentioned specifically in fitness, commitment, and mindset. If this is the mindset of the coach and actually holds players to these standards, I for one would be happy. Maybe we will see that fire and passion throughout the lineup, a hungry team out there fighting for playing time and competing.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, IllicitFive said:

In other news there is an athletic article Wild coach John Hynes on player ‘check-ins’ and setting expectations: ‘Comes down to action’. I was able to read it via NYTimes. Not a bad offseason read, talks about setting expectations, what he wants to see from camp and offseason meetings. While it may all be coach speak and lip service I liked what I was reading. There are no set lines or roster spots, those have to be earned. Who will step up to play with the likes of Kap and Ek. Also talk about how guys like Ohgren and Khus impressed last year but need to show up and do it again, but have the same chance as anyone else to make the opening roster.

I really hope this is more than coach speak, holding guys accountable, making every single player earn a spot. Stated several times on how "players need to be better" mentioned specifically in fitness, commitment, and mindset. If this is the mindset of the coach and actually holds players to these standards, I for one would be happy. Maybe we will see that fire and passion throughout the lineup, a hungry team out there fighting for playing time and competing.  

He also mentioned Freddie, NoJo and Hartman specifically. I got the feeling that he was harder on Hartman than the others. Perhaps his expectations are higher, particularly mentioning conditioning. I got the felling that the other two are safe if they put forth the needed effort, as it should be. Itv was a good article.

• Like 2

I had a different response to that article. Grit, identity, bounce back seasons to address secondary scoring. Buy-in, communication, identity. Zucc/Hartman/Kap; Boldy/Ek/Jojo. Rossi, Ohgren, and Marat showed a little… have to come in and earn a spot. It was kind of gross, actually.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Krotz the Wall said:

I had a different response to that article. Grit, identity, bounce back seasons to address secondary scoring. Buy-in, communication, identity. Zucc/Hartman/Kap; Boldy/Ek/Jojo. Rossi, Ohgren, and Marat showed a little… have to come in and earn a spot. It was kind of gross, actually.

Oh I read it as those COULD be line but nothing is in stone, could see Zucc and Kap reunite to spark secondary scoring. All depends who shows up. But yes, if they have to earn a spot that is a good thing, NHL roster spots should be earned, period, crrates internal competition, iron sharpens iron. 

• Like 1

As a tribute to the man, the myth, the legend I'm going to refer to the Wild's 4th line as the Shawzy line this season

Raska showed some flashes of being an effective 4th line cement head and he's re-signed for peanuts (this is how to fill out a 4th line Guerin).  So let's imagine this trio: 

Lauko + T-Bag + Raska

(SHAWZY line.  alternate name: Cement Head Line)

That's a 4th line that will steal minutes from our 3rd line as the season progresses due to their 'hard to play against' style.

Foligno + Fred Evason + Nojo will be able to take alot of waterbreaks while watching the Cement Heads take their TOI.

Edited by Pewterschmidt
  • Like 1