Hockey Wilderness

Article: The Wild Would Send A Message By Making Eriksson Ek Captain

Verified Member

Jarvis made the Canes roster out of the WHL a couple years ago. It's not impossible. 

I'd feel a lot better about a Rossi trade if there was already someone taking his place. Putting him at the wing was always an idea. That's not too bad either but he's not real fast or a rush guy. 

MN just needs to be better and finding balance throughout their lines is a must. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, OldDutchChip said:

i think it would matter to Kap though and allow him to really break free and be even more vocal. i mentioned this before, but his idol spent the entire career with one team. he battled through adversity and LEAD the team as a captain to SC. this may be one thing that gives us a change keeping Kap - give him a C - tell him the team is his - make it hard to leave - show him that he can lead like Ovi. 

It also took Ovi 5 years to become the captain of the team.

6 minutes ago, IllicitFive said:

It also took Ovi 5 years to become the captain of the team.

ok yes very nice find! he also drinks coke during game and poops in visitor locker room, so let's keep track of all things Ovi does! but to be clear - are you saying - we want to wait until next year then or can Billy think a bit proactive and give it to him now? or maybe we should give it to Faber? or Ohgren?

Billy needs to be fired

2 minutes ago, OldDutchChip said:

ok yes very nice find! he also drinks coke during game and poops in visitor locker room, so let's keep track of all things Ovi does! but to be clear - are you saying - we want to wait until next year then or can Billy think a bit proactive and give it to him now? or maybe we should give it to Faber? or Ohgren?

Billy needs to be fired

Just stating facts, no need to get so defensive, such a quick temper. I am saying that a letter won't mean he stays on the team. Are you saying lets just slap a letter on and the team will all magically play like Kap and it will be nothing by wins and cups and Kap will sign a lifetime contract because you put a C on the sweater? 

Took quite a big jump there from me saying ovi didn't get the C for 5 years to fire the GM haha. Who do you want as a GM? Or just anyone who will do anything to make 1 player happy (by your opinion) team be damned. What do you think will magically change with a letter change on his sweater? You do understand leaders lead no matter the letter they wear right? Perhaps there are more intangibles to wearing the C than just being the best player on the team. What if he is quiet? Doesn't want to be the one talking to refs and media all the time? Doesn't want to be the main voice in the locker room? But yes, should shove someone into that spot they may not want.  Kap has always seemed like a bit more quiet, lead by example type guy.

1 hour ago, Will D. Ness said:

I think he has a good chance... or I should say I think this is a good year to give a kid like that a chance.  

Based on the front office and coaches past practice...I would NOT expect Heidt or any new guy get a chance. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, IllicitFive said:

Just stating facts, no need to get so defensive, such a quick temper. I am saying that a letter won't mean he stays on the team. Are you saying lets just slap a letter on and the team will all magically play like Kap and it will be nothing by wins and cups and Kap will sign a lifetime contract because you put a C on the sweater? 

Took quite a big jump there from me saying ovi didn't get the C for 5 years to fire the GM haha. Who do you want as a GM? Or just anyone who will do anything to make 1 player happy (by your opinion) team be damned. What do you think will magically change with a letter change on his sweater? You do understand leaders lead no matter the letter they wear right? Perhaps there are more intangibles to wearing the C than just being the best player on the team. What if he is quiet? Doesn't want to be the one talking to refs and media all the time? Doesn't want to be the main voice in the locker room? But yes, should shove someone into that spot they may not want.  Kap has always seemed like a bit more quiet, lead by example type guy.

sorry for spazzing a bit 🙂 

what i am saying that it won't hurt. and especially in Kap's case, giving him a chance to lead as his idol did - one team, struggles, set backs, leaders role and eventually leading the team to SC....that may matter. it will make it a bit tougher for him to say goodbye if he is a captain vs an alternate (there is no denying that Captaincy matters more than A - and to him it may matter more than we think). those are just theories, but why would we not want to give ourselves the best chance to retain Kaprizov? 

Yeah i think Billy messed up. And i am in the Fire Him Now side. His biggest priority was Kaprizov. And i believe he failed miserably. Fire him. 

• Like 1

Verified Member

Old Dutch is spot on. Kappy should be captain . Ek and Faber get A’s.. They are the true core guys of this team. They also are the only guys that show up and play hard on a nightly basis. 
    I do think captains matter .  That’s the leader of your team. We just don’t value them because we’ve never had a good one. We have country club organizers. There wives are the true captains.  Real captains lead on ice. Something we’ve never had. 

33 minutes ago, Dean said:

we’ve never had a good one. We have country club organizers. There wives are the true captains.  Real captains lead on ice.

Shot's fired by Dean.

I'm not going to agree 100% but there's some smoke here.  Koivu and Spurgy are incredible human beings and well above average NHL'rs but if the benchmark for a quality NHL captain are cut from the Yzerman, Crosby, Toews (yes Toews, 3 cups for cripes!) mold I'd argue Koivu are Spurgy aren't close.  Give the C to 97 because he's closest player to that mold.  Give Ek and Faber the A because they're the next closest.  And Foligno should feel lucky he's in the league.

But P-stains Faber is so young.  Some players prove it early (Makar, Crosby, Toews) and he's one of them IMO.