Hockey Wilderness

Article: Wild Address Penalty Kill With Four-Year Deal For Yakov Trenin

Tony Abbott

11 hours ago, Imyourhuckleberry said:

I think I like the Trenin deal more than the Middleton deal now. Kind of feels like Guerin is giving everyone $300-$500K more than other teams might. At some point, that hamstrings you nearly as much as a Parise or Suter buyout.

He's only traded one cap crunch for another.

12 hours ago, OldDutchChip said:

i agree with that. Midds is signed for next 5 years. He is slow, not that physical, but yet he got a raise from 2.45 all the way to 4.35. I understand inflation and cap raises, but i wouldn't mind knowing who were we betting against in each case - Midds and Trenin. It's consistent with all our previous extension. Signed too early, signed for too much, and blocked any sort of escape clause. 

Ya, a couple of things you have to wonder about, why sign Mids on the 1'st day of free agency with a year left on his contract and if he could've waited a day on Trenin and maybe drove the price down some.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Willy the poor boy said:

Ya, a couple of things you have to wonder about, why sign Mids on the 1'st day of free agency with a year left on his contract and if he could've waited a day on Trenin and maybe drove the price down some.

Considering how much activity there was right away, if you had someone you specifically wanted, it was probably best to make a move yesterday.  You wait a day and that person could easily be gone.

Middleton though, I tend to agree with you.  I really doubt Middleton drives his value up during the season, so why not wait and see whether you want to commit and what else your options are?

Edited by raithis

I get that, but I also wonder what the GMs and coaches see that we don't.  They don't re-sign Middleton for so long if they think Hunt, Lambos, etc. are ready made obvious replacements.  Faber from day one proved he was good, and then exploded to where he is now.  Some guys never do.  I couldn't tell you anything Hunt did last year when he got in games that made him any more noticeable than a Mermis.  At best, he was Mermis, but not as bad as Goligoski.  What did Beckman or Walker ever do on their stints (4th line limited minutes sure) to say, "God, we gotta keep them?"

I just listened to Russo and LaPanta's rundown of the Trenin thing.  Russo seems to think you gotta let players play and churn the lower guys out because they price themselves out.  It makes sense...but what if the 3rd/4th line guys are just expendable quality anyway?  LaPanta's point is, "Yurov and Ohgren are going to get opportunties in the Top 6 BECAUSE they are those guys."  Buium you hope is going to BE those guys.  LaPanta, for all his supposed homerism, has been consistent in saying, "You don't want MoJo in the top six?  Go fucking outplay him then!"  Addison stunk up the back end for a year, so they got Bogo instead.  They wouldn't have done that if Addison knew how to stop a puck.

I think you can skirt the line and understand that not everyone you sign is going to be an NHL quality player.  For their faults, MoJo and Gaudreau have at least been veteran NHL depth and know what it takes to do that.  You hope you find better players, but you can't just give out favors to people who aren't good enough.  Beckman and Shaw aren't those guys.  Maybe Ohgren, Khusnutdinov, and Yurov are.  

Edited by Citizen Strife

On 7/1/2024 at 3:58 PM, Jon said:

Aside from a couple comments, I appreciate the maturity in this thread at the time of writing this comment. It’s a shitshow at the Athletic threads. If Wild Athletic fans were personified as a person, it’d definitely have a bipolar personality disorder

Never read the comments in the Athletic or Star Tribune.

22 hours ago, Up North Guy said:

Never read the comments in the Athletic or Star Tribune.

I don’t touch the Star Tribune. In the Athletic, I follow different teams, all with different compositions. I actually find the Wild threads mildly entertaining. When things work out (like Rossi this year), it’s funny to see many people take an ‘I knew it all along’ stance lmao. Especially, if I remember what they’ve said before. Many will die on their negative hills though. It’s like reading a sports fan’s version of a housewives minnesota counties script.

• Haha 2