Hockey Wilderness

Article: Wild Address Penalty Kill With Four-Year Deal For Yakov Trenin

Tony Abbott

1 hour ago, Protec said:

I had a dream last night, more of a vision where a wild Bearcat stepped out of the spruce trees near a tranquil Minnesota lake and said Trenin is from a place in Russia with a silver mountain where they ride tigers. I haven't looked into it yet but seemed relevant so I figured I'd mention it.

image.gif.490adbd7e76ed7ac08203d7716659c56.gif

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Lovehockey said:

If u are not joking: there is no single spot to put any other player on the Wild roster. Period. And we will not be able to trade anyone with contracts structure 

but we have an opportunity to root for these bottom two lines that will strike fear in any opponent they face!

MJ - Freddy G - Zuccy

Harty - Foligno - Knutty/Trenin

Shit this is sad

• Like 1

4 hours ago, punch_cut said:

This signing came in exactly where evolving-hockey said the contract projection would be. Yes it would be nice if it was a lower yearly number, but the team highlighted this need and got the player. The PK was terrible and if this helps it will be a major benefit to the team.

I know everyone wants the players that get paid 1.8 to score 30 goals, but that isn't always reality.

How about the ones paid $3.5?

I know this is a different topic but look at this again:

Here are the Wild's league rankings in each year since Guerin took over as general manager:

2019-20: 25th (77.2%)
2020-21: 12th (80.7%)
2021-22: 25th (76.1%)
2022-23: 10th (82.0%)
2023-24: 30th (74.5%)

Overall, it's a mediocre showing (23rd in NHL, 77.9%), and opponents have magnified their flaws further in the postseason. Among the 27 teams with postseason games in the past five years, only the Arizona Coyotes (nine games in the 2020 COVID bubble) and Los Angeles Kings (who constantly play the Edmonton Oilers in Round 1) have fared worse than Minnesota. Their 72.6% postseason penalty kill over that span easily cost them winnable series against the St. Louis Blues in 2022 and the Dallas Stars in 2023.

These seasons are almost totally under the Evason era. We know that Deano wasn't particularly interested in Xs & Os. It seems like he put Bob Woods in charge of this particular area. Woods was also with Bruce Boudreau, and his closest confident. 

I know many don't like the switch, but Heinzy does have some Xs & Os experience and I believe we will have a completely different system next season. The stat referenced up top is a serious indictment against Evason, and really an admission that he had no idea how to fix it. Yet, the club still won and made the playoffs in 4 of those years. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, mnfaninnc said:

The stat referenced up top is a serious indictment against Evason, and really an admission that he had no idea how to fix it.

Deano not landing any of the open jobs this offseason is also an indictment.  Regular season hero, but he exposed himself for not being able/willing to make in game adjustments during his playoff appearances

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, mnfaninnc said:

Size and physicality when not killing penalties.

Yah, Dewzy is a fringe nhl’r.  I had hopes this kid would get over and find the next gear but it became clear it wouldn’t happen here.  Hey I just saw that Tyson Post Josty’s just landed another contract so don’t give up yet Dew

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lovehockey said:

If u are not joking: there is no single spot to put any other player on the Wild roster. Period. And we will not be able to trade anyone with contracts structure 

You're simply wrong on the structure. Most of the NMCs move to M-NTCs. Even then, if a team wants you with an NTC, we've seen what NYR did. NTCs are not that difficult to work around, especially when you've got the waiver option.

• Sad 1

30 minutes ago, Pewterschmidt said:

Yah, Dewzy is a fringe nhl’r.  I had hopes this kid would get over and find the next gear but it became clear it wouldn’t happen here.  Hey I just saw that Tyson Post Josty’s just landed another contract so don’t give up yet Dew

yeah, in Carolina. I'm sure he'll be making his way to the A.

5 hours ago, OldDutchChip said:

Midds is back at 4.35 per for 4 more years!

Common sign Bogo to the same and we'll be set

I think I like the Trenin deal more than the Middleton deal now. Kind of feels like Guerin is giving everyone $300-$500K more than other teams might. At some point, that hamstrings you nearly as much as a Parise or Suter buyout.

4 minutes ago, Imyourhuckleberry said:

I think I like the Trenin deal more than the Middleton deal now. Kind of feels like Guerin is giving everyone $300-$500K more than other teams might. At some point, that hamstrings you nearly as much as a Parise or Suter buyout.

i agree with that. Midds is signed for next 5 years. He is slow, not that physical, but yet he got a raise from 2.45 all the way to 4.35. I understand inflation and cap raises, but i wouldn't mind knowing who were we betting against in each case - Midds and Trenin. It's consistent with all our previous extension. Signed too early, signed for too much, and blocked any sort of escape clause. 

I think the idea is that, with Trenin, Hartman, Foligno, and Ek you not only get tougher on the PK but that also gives you physicality on potentially every line if they make it to the post-season over the next 4 seasons. 

This season, for instance, they can go:

Boldy-Ek-Kap/Zuccy-Rossi-Hartman/Trenin-Khusnut-Ohgren/Foligno-Gaudreau-Johansson

It'll be tougher to take runs on Kaprizov if there is always an enforcer-size player on the ice with all lines. 

And let's not forget that the further into a year, the more cap you get. If players stay healthy, there will likely be a top-6 winger available when the team has more cap-room at the TDL, which can push Hartman down to a more suitable role. 

Edited by B1GKappa97
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, B1GKappa97 said:

Dewar wasn't stopping anyone from taking cheap shots on Kap. 

Trenin might since he's got about 20 more lbs on him. 

you think he is going to be an enforcer type? that hasn't worked out well for us before. i think would need to play on Kap's line to be feared. We have seen how enforcers that play of 3/4 line are irrelevant at preventing that (reeves, maroon, even foligno).  oh well, whats done is done.

Something I began to wonder is if Guerin's signings and extension philosophy is antagonistic to and yet at the same time a response/balancing act to Brackett's drafting.  With where the Wild have been (mid to lower teens), Brackett has had to get smart with some signings.  He goes for people who fall for various reasons, but has settled in on the higher scoring, sometimes smaller players.  That isn't always the case (Ohgren/Yurov)...but given Guerin's philosphy of "being tougher to play against/defense first" mantra, what I'm wondering is if signings like Trenin are a direct result of what Brackett has been able to draft.

I know Trenin's term and value isn't the most fun, but what I wonder and hope is if Guerin sees Rossi/Faber/Buium/etc. as the offensive saviors internally.  All fine and good that Nashville bought the farm on Stamkos and March, but they are older...VERY older in the Edmonton/Tanev case.  They are probably better players now, but they could be injury risks just like Laine might be.  

Trenin, Foligno, Hartman, Middleton, etc are maybe Guerin's way of balancing the team out and saying, "the team will grind out wins unless our younger guys provide the secondary scoring."  It may not be the best solution, but I wonder if he sees the options that ARE available that weren't last year, thinking, "It's a high cost sure, but we have what we're searching for already.  We just want to give the 1-2 spots per year, and let them earn it."

• Like 2

From the video clips I've seen Yakov "what a country" Tenin >> Dewar

Dewar is a smart, undersized NHL'r.  Tenin looks to bring much more sandpaper to his game and should strike fear in defenseman digging pucks out of their own corner.  

Now for the glass is half empty take: This is Tenin's payday contract.  He just got paid for all the wear and tear his body has endured so far.  Let's hope he doesn't go full-apathetic-old-core on us and mail it in for the next couple years.

I'll trust that Heinzy knows how this kid is wired and he knows T-Pain will continue to bring it on the forecheck.

• Like 4