Hockey Wilderness

Article: Wild Trade Up To Select Defenseman Zeev Buium At 12th Overall

Thomas Williams

9 minutes ago, Tony Abbott said:

I'm saying that tying up all that money into players that are going to give the team diminishing returns means they can't spend (or trade for) players to make the team better in the long run. They won't have flexibility.

sure agree. but thats where we are. i think i mentioned before that i think GMs are idiots. 💩

4 hours ago, Tony Abbott said:

I'm saying that tying up all that money into players that are going to give the team diminishing returns means they can't spend (or trade for) players to make the team better in the long run. They won't have flexibility.

The risk on spending in free agency or trades is just as real.  The Kings made that PLD deal after all.  Still shocked they managed their way out of that somehow.

So there is risk on many fronts.

7 hours ago, OldDutchChip said:

Kaprizov likes winning. That's it. He needs immediate help. Instead he gets a pick. A prospect. No immediate help. What's he thinking next? HAHAHA Maybe how he loves being physically dominated by Central Division or how the team is doing nothing in terms of showing that they view him as priority ONE? nah he like the pick ....argh people

Immediate help could be starting the season with another helper, or have that help within a season. I believe Buium to be ready by next season, and to play at a very high level. I believe that Denver is bringing back most of their squad, so it might be a long NCAA tournament again for Buium, but, he could join the team right after that tournament and show up much like Faber did in '23. 

As for the start of the season, Laine wasn't going to get a 1st round pick. So far, I think there is a deal to be made here. That is instant 30 goal addition. Rutger McGroarty is more of a risk, but I think the ask was too high from Winnipeg. Perhaps a deal can be made there, but I think they're more reluctant to give him up.

2 hours ago, mnfaninnc said:

Immediate help could be starting the season with another helper, or have that help within a season. I believe Buium to be ready by next season, and to play at a very high level. I believe that Denver is bringing back most of their squad, so it might be a long NCAA tournament again for Buium, but, he could join the team right after that tournament and show up much like Faber did in '23. 

As for the start of the season, Laine wasn't going to get a 1st round pick. So far, I think there is a deal to be made here. That is instant 30 goal addition. Rutger McGroarty is more of a risk, but I think the ask was too high from Winnipeg. Perhaps a deal can be made there, but I think they're more reluctant to give him up.

what kind of an impact are we talking about here? i see it as very minimal. we have our top 4 D set, as i am hearing Midds will get his $ and term. So thats top 4. Chissy is here with Bogo as 3rd pair. Are we saying Zeev is going to come in as a sub for bottom 3? wowza that's very exciting.

and if he is still raw and not ready? no worries - wild have one of the best prospects in NHL - that D has been marinating quiet well and will surely impress! or not yet? few more years? (Hunt? Johansson? Lambos? Masters? O'Rourke? Peart? Spacek?) 

Maybe instead let's hold the excitement a bit. So we did nothing yet with our biggest need - which is to improve the team NOW. 

I would stay away from Laine (i already wrote on him before). Potentially i would prefer we use Zeev, Rossi, and other assets to get a proven scorer that would move either EK or Boldy down one line. And then aggressively push for Guentzel or Marchy signing. It's all doable but require planning and execution. Something i don't see with Wild. 

10 hours ago, Protec said:

Getting a top NCAA guy who's already won a Championship and who is on a team with another Wild prospect is an added bonus. Knowing those guys stepped up in big games is also good to see.

^^^ this all day

having a guy who raises his game when the lights are brighter (against top competition who are also raising their games) is a guy you want on your roster.  More high compete guys with a spine is better than less

• Like 2

11 hours ago, mnfaninnc said:

From the Kaprizov angle, I'd think he'd like the pick. I'm sure one thing Kaprizov noticed was that our defensive corps needs some help

Agree.  Who does 97 have more confidence he can make a hockey play with:  midzy or Z?   Eventually it’s Z Bubble in landslide.   Eiserman must have more skeletons than just not liking to backcheck. 

Edited by Pewterschmidt
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, OldDutchChip said:

which offensive players? do tell? stramel? maybe that mysterious yurov? maybe golfer boldy? don't worry Kap will be on another team. but freddy g will still be here! 

i won't let you celebrate idiocy. argh i feel like joe bauers!

When I said offensive players I meant players that play offense, you know wingers and centers, commonly called forwards, you know ones like Kap.  So you want the Wild to unload stamel (propect so who knows what he will be) Yurov ( Very highly thought of but still an unknown until he shows up in the NHL) Boldy ( who had 29 g 40 a in 75 games)? But as you stated in another post keep Hartman ( 21 g and 24 a in 74 games) and is 6 years older than Boldy? What point are you trying to make here?

Keev was shown in mocks by actual experts as a top 5 pick at times. But it was a dumb selection at 12? How so? Your crystal ball showing his career already?

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Pewterschmidt said:

Agree.  Who does 97 have more confidence he can make a hockey play with:  midzy or Z?   Eventually it’s Z Bubble in landslide.   Eiserman must have more skeletons than just not liking to backcheck. 

Yeah there is something about Eiserman that made GM's run for the hills.

12 minutes ago, Pewterschmidt said:

Honest question: Rossi for McG straight up.   Yes or No?

No.  Rossi's already gotten 20 goals in a season, and a solid defensive center to boot.  McG is a couple years away from doing anything.  Heidt, Yurov, McG: no track record in the NHL with the Wild.  Rossi already has proven to be at worst the 2nd best center behind Ek, and will probably outdo that.

Edited by Citizen Strife
  • Like 1

It's kinda like the Laine question.  I understand using Rossi as a bargaining chip, but you need to know what you're getting in return.  Laine is a glass cannon, and McG has "potential."  Rossi could slip on a banana peel next year and fall like Gus did.

Maybe I'm just a risk averse person by nature, but when you know you have a good thing, just don't fuck it up.

32 minutes ago, IllicitFive said:

When I said offensive players I meant players that play offense, you know wingers and centers, commonly called forwards, you know ones like Kap.  So you want the Wild to unload stamel (propect so who knows what he will be) Yurov ( Very highly thought of but still an unknown until he shows up in the NHL) Boldy ( who had 29 g 40 a in 75 games)? But as you stated in another post keep Hartman ( 21 g and 24 a in 74 games) and is 6 years older than Boldy? What point are you trying to make here?

Keev was shown in mocks by actual experts as a top 5 pick at times. But it was a dumb selection at 12? How so? Your crystal ball showing his career already?

my point is that you have to pay up to get what you want. harty will not get you that. Yurov, Prospects, Boldy, Rossi, picks - these are our assets. that is what is coveted by other teams. get it?

i could care less about mock drafts. predicting what the kid is going to be few years down the road? very exciting. did they predict good thing for Hunt? O'Rourke? or maybe Johansen? or did we just f#cked up? 

go be excited about a prospect. moronic! Kap is going to walk at this pace, but we are worrying about some prospect that may or may not be good. 🤔

20 minutes ago, OldDutchChip said:

my point is that you have to pay up to get what you want. harty will not get you that. Yurov, Prospects, Boldy, Rossi, picks - these are our assets. that is what is coveted by other teams. get it?

i could care less about mock drafts. predicting what the kid is going to be few years down the road? very exciting. did they predict good thing for Hunt? O'Rourke? or maybe Johansen? or did we just f#cked up? 

go be excited about a prospect. moronic! Kap is going to walk at this pace, but we are worrying about some prospect that may or may not be good. 🤔

Because Kap is gonna hoist the cup all alone. Let's trade our top players, in a group, for 1 player.... That's how you get a team of Freddie g my dude. Ship off all prospects so there is nobody to fill in a roster if anyone gets hurt or, you know if the team lasts longer than a year. Keep getting mad that they got what is considered a high end prospect and didn't ship off half the team and all future picks for 2 players.... So dumb

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Pewterschmidt said:

I ask the question b/c jets will want a kings ransom to trade mcg to intra division rival.  I’d guess Rossi would get it done

If that's the case, then I'd stay away from McGroarty. I don't think he's worth a King's ransom. I could see another prospect, or package a couple of prospects together. Sure, Winnipeg wants to win now, but what do they want? I'd also trade an older roster player if that's needed. If Rossi's their guy, I'd say pass...at least this year.

1 hour ago, IllicitFive said:

Because Kap is gonna hoist the cup all alone. Let's trade our top players, in a group, for 1 player.... That's how you get a team of Freddie g my dude. Ship off all prospects so there is nobody to fill in a roster if anyone gets hurt or, you know if the team lasts longer than a year. Keep getting mad that they got what is considered a high end prospect and didn't ship off half the team and all future picks for 2 players.... So dumb

Because Kap is gonna hoist the cup all alone. i never said that. 

Let's trade our top players, in a group, for 1 player your top player is Kaprizov, with Ek as a good tier below player. And yes to get something good, you usually pay something good. 

That's how you get a team of Freddie g my dude by doing calculated trades and using good assets, you usually get a good player back. you and billy may not understand that, but that is what smart trading boils down to.

Ship off all prospects so there is nobody to fill in a roster if anyone gets hurt or, you know if the team lasts longer than a year. don't be silly, there are many more high end prospect in wild system. just ready to kick that door and blossom. 🌻

Keep getting mad that they got what is considered a high end prospect and didn't ship off half the team and all future picks for 2 players.... So dumb F#CK man do you not understand the point that we need to show that we can win now? this year! does getting a prospect do that? yeah very dumb to prioritize your best player and be agile with the timeline. nope prospect good, freddy g bad. ok genius 

Edited by OldDutchChip

I get ODC's point of view, I just don't really agree with it. He'd rather have established NHLers to play with Kaprizov and keep him happy. 

I just don't think that was ever the plan. I think Shooter's plan was to re-XXXX, develop them, and as a group bring them in pretty much together. 

I don't think that adding free agents and trading is the best way to build the championship roster. It's getting a group of young players together around the same age. They're coming. They're getting better. I also think Kaprizov can see it and likes what he sees coming. 

I'm really not that interested in trading potential stars for middle 6 forwards. I think we can do better than that, though, they won't be proven. But, at some point, when Kaprizov came over, we didn't know how good he'd be. Faber hit the ground running. I think some of these other guys might do the same.

I think the best summary is that I'm on a different timeline than ODC.

Edited by mnfaninnc
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Pewterschmidt said:

he probably has more confidence playing say..... with his buddy svechnikov? or panarin? or shit maybe even ovi for a year? or maybe go to philly and play with mitchkov? or hughes in jersey? or kuch in tampa? or bedard in chicago? no you right, its with this rookie phenom on the wild. and i am sure the added benefit of dragging his team/teammates thru the season, all while getting pummeled day after day with no repercussion is just an added bonus? why don't we also give faber 10 mil and captaincy today, cause he is the team. 

25 minutes ago, mnfaninnc said:

He'd rather have established NHLers to play with Kaprizov and keep him happy. 

I just don't think that was ever the plan. I think Shooter's plan was to re-XXXX, develop them, and as a group bring them in pretty much together. 

If Guerin’s plan is to run an endless list of Adam Beckman’s thru 97’s line for next few years he should be fired today

i believe the plan is to go out and buy an ufa as 97 wingman next offseason and hope prospects fill holes in middle six

• Like 2