Hockey Wilderness

Article: Grading the Minnesota Wild's 2024 Mock Drafts

Tony Abbott

I'm hoping Yakemchuk falls to them.  I saw a "Brent Burns" comparable on a mock list either in the Athletic or somewhere else.  I was sold right there.  Helenius or Eiserman does seem like the more likely play, with Catton a faller too in some spots.  I think the Wild can afford to let things play out.  If the "worst" you get is a Top 4 D or a middle six solid forward, that's not a terrible result.  Imagine hitting on someone like Catton or Eiserman if they are there.

• Like 6

I would love to see what the Wild's draft board looks like at this point. I still believe you go up and get what you believe is your franchise changing player this year. We've got plenty of bullets to use in our prospect pool. Even with the back injury to Lindstrom, I think he's a main target, especially if he starts dropping to around 9th. 

• Like 1

Wild will NOT* make the playoffs. Typo first paragraph. 

MN will have some good options. Whoever they pick will take some time to reach the NHL anyway but between Yakemchuk, Eiserman, Catton, or Sennecke, MN should be able to add a good player. Most experts guessing have three of those guys in the Wild's range. As long as MN doesn't take a Euro player, I'll be content. 

• Like 1

I'm rooting for Eiserman.  But he doesn't back check...it's easier to teach a player to play a disciplined game than it is to teach a player to put the biscuit in the basket.  He could be the player that we add to the second line that makes the Wild a team with two lines the opposition has to fear.  Remember when we had the Fiala/Boldy second line that could score?  If we spend #13 on yet another defenseman I'm going to be disappointed and I'll guess 97 will be disappointed too.

Edited by Pewterschmidt
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Pewterschmidt said:

it's easier to teach a player to play a disciplined game than it is to teach a player to put the biscuit in the basket.  He could be the player that we add to the second line that makes the Wild a team with two lines the opposition has to fear.

Let's say you have an Ohgren-Rossi-Eiserman 2nd line. 2/3 back check pretty hard. I think you could hide Eiserman's weakness. My hope is that he would learn to do this, it will be needed the deeper the playoff run.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, B1GKappa97 said:

They’re going to steal whatever defenseman falls out of the top-10, those dicks!!

Hate to say it, but that is the most likely scenario...

But look at it this way, that would mean one of the forwards will fall farther than expected, giving us a better chance at a higher upside player.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, bisopher said:

But look at it this way, that would mean one of the forwards will fall farther than expected, giving us a better chance at a higher upside player.

It's possible they really like Helenuis or Sennecke. There's a lot of players to like. Yakemchuk seems like a solid target though along with Dickinson.

I wonder how much teams dig or spy to figure out who's gonna pick who. How much deception and playing it close to the chest is going on? 

Will s team like Ottawa or Seattle go off the board or like the Norwegians a lot? Would a team go early on Connelly? Could MN get a trade with MTL for the 26th or ANA for 31st and pickup another good pick from the 2nd tier of guys. 

It's always fun to speculate. The Brackett roller-coaster is due for something good. Really hoping the Wild avoid Euros. Maybe with a 2nd. Seems like time to trade a defense prospect and next years 2nd & 4th to acquire 35th from Anaheim. MN could bank some additional picks this season with an Elick or Emery. By next season when the penalties end and the younger guys can hopefully start stepping in, MN would be in an okay place to not terribly miss some picks. Plus some deadline dealings might allow you to recapture a similar pick to one that was traded away. 

I am hoping for the best but mentally preparing for Brackett to pull a guruism and be the one who goes off the board.

6 hours ago, bisopher said:

I am now hoping for Eiserman..

and will have to settle on it being Helenius 😞 good bye Marco

• Sad 1