Hockey Wilderness

Article: Maybe It’s Time to Pump the Brakes On the Inevitable Faber Extension

I bet the Wild want to lock him up long term.  Fabes needs to refine his game somewhat and if he were a Makar or Hiskanenen level he would be valued above 10M in 2024 vs 9M in 2021.

I think a bridge deal would be fine too but I really don't see a reason to do so.

• Like 1

I don't think Guerin can pull rabbits out of his hat on every deal he makes.  $9m might be an overpay, but he's probably going to be looked at favorably with the cap rising.  Maybe you can get a "high but not too high" Boldy deal, but that's about the best you can hope for.  Ek level bargain deals are the one in a million lucky break.

• Like 2

No rush in doing an extension.  We did that last year with 3-4 guys and it was a mess.  Faber should not get 8-9mm.  He has a lot more to prove.  3-4 year bridge deal at $6mm is what we should be paying.  Also trade spurgeon for a bag of pucks so you can use his money on other forwards and dmen.  Along with Gus, Freddie, Nojo, and Rossi for a high pick 5-7 keeping our 13 or a ready to go player.  Big changes needed this summer and starts now. Also no Middleton extension we should be looking at trading him as well.  Bigger, younger, faster.  The team will be good when Hartman, Foligno, are on the 4th line and nothing more.  Zucc on 3rd line and no PP1 time. 

• Like 1

Verified Member

I see a fallacy in this argument.  While Sanderson's $8.05MM contract was signed last year,  Heiskanen's $8.45MM contract was signed three years ago.  If Faber aligns with Heiskanen, that's over $9MM now counting inflation and cap increases.

• Like 3

yup good points in the article!

do not give in and just toss 9 mil plus at this kid. let it marinate a bit, if he wants money in the 9+ range, then push for bridge or make him take a discount and sign for 7 per. thats it.  7X7 is 49 mil right? throw in kwik trip and tempstar commercial and let him get some more cash if he needs it that bad. there is probably even more advertising money for him lined up. so push for 7, make him alternate and see if he bites. 

• Like 1

His contract will not be negotiated in a vacuum. Whether the team goes bridge or longterm depends on a lot of factors. One factor is how aggressive the Wild want to be the next few years in signing UFAs. To this point management has shown a propensity to lock players up and at least theoretically reduce risk/cost longterm. Pretty sure that’s what’s coming next for Brock. My guess? 8 at $8.75

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Burnt Toast said:

My guess? 8 at $8.75

That $70M over 8 years is exactly what I was going to suggest. Something in the $8M - $9M range certainly seems likely, and I wouldn't be shocked if it was closer to $8.25M. I cannot really see them going over $9M. The Wild are more likely to reduce the term to 7 or 6 years rather than go over $9M.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, bisopher said:

While Sanderson's $8.05MM contract was signed last year,  Heiskanen's $8.45MM contract was signed three years ago.  If Faber aligns with Heiskanen, that's over $9MM now counting inflation and cap increases.

Faber's game seems closer to Sanderson than Heiskanen, but I do think he'll get a bit more than Sanderson. Something in the $8.25-$8.75M range seems about right.

• Like 1

Verified Member
16 hours ago, OldDutchChip said:

yup good points in the article!

do not give in and just toss 9 mil plus at this kid. let it marinate a bit, if he wants money in the 9+ range, then push for bridge or make him take a discount and sign for 7 per. thats it.  7X7 is 49 mil right? throw in kwik trip and tempstar commercial and let him get some more cash if he needs it that bad. there is probably even more advertising money for him lined up. so push for 7, make him alternate and see if he bites. 

I agree with ODC on this one. I think last season may have been a unicorn season for Faber. Let's see how far back to earth he comes. He's still going to be good or very good but lets see where he levels off at in the next two seasons. Bridge deal is the wise thing to do here. 3X6 would go nicely then he gets his payday. Faber wants to be here so he will be team friendly. 

• Like 3

Hold everything!

is Fletcher still a GM for flyers?

if so, call and offer Rossi, pick and knutty and future first for Mitchkov

he is coming over and would be perfect!

It’s only a fantasy until you make it real 

• Like 2

Verified Member

I think you look at Ek or other leaders on the team and propose a Boldy type deal. Yeah, a lot of success in a small sample size. If you go full Marner with a guy, it's not necessarily a terrible deal purely based on the numbers, but it's the flexibility that's lost with deals like Sanderson, Trouba, Subban, Karlsson, Spurgeon, and the types of guys who deserve a payday when they're signed. Over time, do these contracts work out well or become a burden.

I think 7x7.5M would be my threshold for being impressed with Guerin & Faber. I realize Faber could be worth more depending on comparison but I'd strive to get him for Spurgeon/Boldy type deal. 

• Like 3