Hockey Wilderness

Article: Wild Trade Adam Beckman To the Devils

It was obvious that Beckman wasn't going to become an NHL player so I like the trade for that reason.  What's the book on new guy.  Hopefully he's got some rough neck to his game.  Looks like their AHL stats are similar, so that's a push.  If new guy is thicker (nod to MNFan) than that's already an upgrade.

Good luck to Beckman.  No shame in collecting a $700k/yr spritzer league paycheck eventually.  Beats the hell out of running TPS reports all day.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

3 minutes ago, Pewterschmidt said:

It was obvious that Beckman wasn't going to become an NHL player so I like the trade for that reason.  What's the book on new guy.  Hopefully he's got some rough neck to his game.  Looks like their AHL stats are similar, so that's a push.  If new guy is thicker (nod to MNFan) than that's already an upgrade.

Good luck to Beckman.  No shame in collecting a $700k/yr spritzer league paycheck eventually.  Beats the hell out of running TPS reports all day.

I've heard 2" shorter and 20 lbs. lighter. Don't know if it's accurate though.

21 minutes ago, B1GKappa97 said:

Thank GAWD 

I will no longer have to read idiots on The Athletic commenting on how Beckman should be playing ahead of Freddy G or Ryan Hartman any longer. 

We could use that as a rule for any prospect that's been in Iowa over one year.  If you cannot beat out Fred Evason for a spot in lineup, that player is not an NHL prospect

• Like 10

2 hours ago, Pewterschmidt said:

We could use that as a rule for any prospect that's been in Iowa over one year.  If you cannot beat out Fred Evason for a spot in lineup, that player is not an NHL prospect

I think that may be a little light on the runway for defense prospects. They tend to take a little more time in the A to adjust. As far as the forwards are concerned i would agree that by 23 we know where they are headed.

• Like 1

The young lad shoots right handed, so I already like him. Graeme, head to the gym, you need 15 lbs. by September to be taken seriously.

There is a place on this roster for RHS forwards. If he'll put in the work, he could possibly make it. If he doesn't want to, buy a house in Des Moines.

It was rumored that the Wild players would be "checking in" with team management more this summer. From this, I suspect that Beckman was not interested in bulking up. It was his choice.

Edited by mnfaninnc

Here's some quotes about him from Elite Prospects:

He is also a very gifted puck handler, blending skill with creativity

McKeen's Hockey 2019

Graeme’s shot is his offensive weapon; he owns a lightning quick release with great velocity and strong accuracy

Hockeyprospect.com 2019

Plays the game at a high level. Combines playmaking ability with a nose for the net

Future Considerations 2019

For me, that's a lot of accolades for a 3rd round pick. I'm starting to wonder about these sites being afraid to say, "stay away from this kid, he can't play." No, everyone's great, even in the spritzer leagues. 

• Like 1

On 6/22/2024 at 7:53 PM, Tony Abbott said:

This dude must have a real bright future if he only needs to gain 15 pounds.

Yeah I mean I'm sure he could gain 15 lbs by September pretty easily if he just overate, but assuming we're talking about muscle there's no way to add that much that quickly. Legally, anyway. 

That's probably 3 or 4 years away from him, given that I doubt he'll try to gain too much weight in-season and it'll rely mainly on off-season gains. And dedicated ones at that, a la Marco Rossi. For whatever reason that's been a struggle for our AHL members.

Although after seeing the photos of the AHL facility in a recent Athletic article, I also have to wonder exactly how much they've budgeted on the weight room for that place if they can't even get them decent lap tops...

On 6/24/2024 at 12:47 PM, WIWild said:

I think it's interesting that in BG's post-season presser, he said his AHL roster wasn't diversified - he had too many of the same player to be able to have 'the right guy' to call up. Isn't this trading Beckman for Beckmann?

It sort of is, except that Clarke is an RHS which we need more of.