Hockey Wilderness

Article: Marco Rossi Trade Rumors Have Continued

Barclay Goodrow on waivers for purpose of a buyout.  Seems like the type of player that Guerin falls in love with.  Wrong side of 30, gritty proven playoff performer.

Edited by MrCheatachu
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, MrCheatachu said:

Barclay Goodrow on waivers for purpose of a buyout.  Seems like the type of player that Guerin falls in love with.  Wrong side of 30, gritty proven playoff performer.

He's probably a lock for the Wild if he'll accept an NTMC

• Haha 2

Verified Member

It would appear that Shooter has not gotten the offer he was looking for yet for Rossi. I maintain my position that Brady Tkachuk should be the target if Rossi is involved in a trade. Of course, it will cost more than Rossi.

Out of the teams mentioned, I think Utah might have the best selection of players to trade with outside of Ottawa. They may not be proven players yet, but Rossi is not exactly proven either. He's had 1 nice rookie year, that isn't proving it just yet. 

To me it's looking like Rossi is a conversation starter. I don't see what Montreal, Philadelphia, or Calgary can offer, unless they are trying to flip their 1st rounder with the Wild's 13 and obtain Rossi. 

If this is their thinking, we're looking at 5, 6, 7, 9 & 12. And, this would mean it is likely that this would happen at the draft, and we'll see who is available starting at 5. It could be there is a player (s) that Shooter/Brackett are targeting in this draft. 

I think the question boils down to would we trade Rossi to obtain Lindstrom? Silayev? Yakemchuk? or Michigan St. defender? Utah is 6th, and I could see us swapping Rossi +   13 for Utah 6 + prospect (about ready). I could see us doing the same with Montreal at 5. 

It's also interesting that CBJ is not on the list. Perhaps Waddell simply has too much going on right now to be making trade calls?

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, mnfaninnc said:

To me it's looking like Rossi is a conversation starter.

I think this is what Guerin is thinking.  I like that he's leaving all-options-on-the-table for making the team better.  I don't think this is a way to run a railroad (hurting Rossi confidence, etc.).  Trading Rossi for this year's Lundell is an admission of failure in the Rossi pick.  Now if a Rossi package
(incl. GUS) returns a higher than #13 2024 draft pick + a quality prospect(s) then I'll change my opinion on a Rossi trade.

At this point, if I'm judging Guerin & Co (and I absolutely am.  Best part of being a fan) all this trade talk indicates cluster-f$%&ery within Guerin's organization.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Verified Member

If teams want Rossi then they have to be the beggers and we get to be the choosers  ,  if it was with Utah we get their 1st rounder  and keep our own 1st rounder ,  they can have our 2nd or 3rd at most  .    

• Like 2

Watch us trade Rossi for McBain lol. No one else fits. Maybe Dylan Guenther but he had a worse rookie year than Rossi did. Utah is a pretty small team, I don't see many targets of value.

Sens might have some pull with the young talent they have there, I'm not sure how willing they will be to give up something good for Rossi. 

I really hope we don't trade Rossi to move up in the draft. a 40pt rookie season for someone who could possibly be NHL ready in 1-2 years sounds like an awful big risk for what we have.

• Like 4

Trading Marco Rossi as a sweetener to move up from, like 13 to 6 is so laughable to me. NHL scouts think the top half of the draft is more-or-less interchangable in talent after Picks 2-3. You'd end up trading Rossi in exchange for a lateral move, talent-wise. Can't imagine worse asset management.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, Tony Abbott said:

Dude... Rossi just had what is objectively a better season than Lundell...

I'm not saying Rossi should be traded.  I want to keep Rossi.

I'm saying that if Guerin trades Rossi for a draftee this year that is effectively what Lundell is now, that's a FAIL

• Like 2

No player is untradeable, but Rossi has already proven a solid if not good, hard working player with the Wild's team.  I get the allure of hoping for something better; the issue is the other team has "the better" end of the deal.

• Like 1

I don't like the idea of trading Rossi, but will refrain any judgment unless a trade actually happens. If Guerin were in discussions to trade Rossi, Spurgeon, Heidt, and Stramel for Brady Tkachuk, I could understand listening to offers like that.

• Like 2

Rossi, Spurgeon, Heidt, and Stramel for Brady Tkachuk, I could understand listening to offers like that.

Wanna give Ottawa everything else like a 1st or 2nd while you're at it?  That's too much, even if Heidt or Stramel don't amount to anything.  If either one does, Ottawa makes out like a fucking bandit.

Edited by Citizen Strife
  • Like 1

Verified Member

Too easy to inject fantasy to these rumors. We don't know nuthin. It's very much true Rossi in a hockey trade for a defenseman who makes the Wild better could be fine. A trade to take on Spurgeon's contract opening two spots and "now" money could pay off in landing a top UFA.

I think Tony and others are right to say trading a proven young player on an ELC for draft picks is unheard of. That's as unlikely as getting Brady Tkachuk.

There's no way to know how quickly guys will develop to NHL level outside of the Matthews, McDavid type players. Lundell has been very effective and is more valuable to a top team in his role versus Rossi who is capable of scoring 40pts but not everything else Lundell does like beat big defenseman physically along the boards to win possession or box Draisaitl out at the net-mouth.

My bigger point in all of this is, you can't pick and choose stats to compare between guys. It's the overall in all categories. It could be the Wild see Rossi the same as us, but Guerin has a cross-eyed plan between his ears? It could also be that we've seen Rossi as a good guy to hang onto, but the Wild's evaluation shows a different look is needed? Rossi could stick with the Wild just fine too, regardless of preferences. Skating next to NoJo automatically makes you a more likable player. Anything's possible I suppose, but getting B.Tkachuk or trading Rossi for the 6th pick seem highly unlikely.

The Markstrom trade is a perfect analogy. Young, big defenseman,(2nd Rd. pick) and a top-10 protected 1st for a reliable but expensive goalie. NJ had to give up some goods to get Markstrom at ~ 4.1M. For Minnesota to get an important player, they're going to have to give up some proven assets and perhaps a 2025 pick too. The part that irks me is, the UFA pool is so strong that trading Rossi now when his value is high must be for a good reason. Almost like the Wild have a specific plan that doesn't include Rossi for some reason. Is it his size, his health, his value as an asset, his fit with the group? It's a pretty interesting topic cause he's a good young player. Guerin's plans though, they're as difficult to decipher as which way Bill's eyeballs are looking. 🤪

6 hours ago, Citizen Strife said:

Wanna give Ottawa everything else like a 1st or 2nd while you're at it?  That's too much, even if Heidt or Stramel don't amount to anything.  If either one does, Ottawa makes out like a fucking bandit.

I really don't want to give up a 1st or a 2nd. I thought it was more likely someone would say that's not enough than suggesting Ottawa was making out like a bandit. They wouldn't trade an all-star level player in his prime like Tkachuk without getting a nice return of offensive weaponry and Spurgeon's contract might be necessary to get the deal done.

I really like Spurgeon, but as he goes into his age 35 season, history suggests he'll begin to fall off soon even if he comes all the back from injury.

The thought of having Kaprizov, Eriksson Ek, Tkachuk, Boldy, Yurov, and cap space to add more next season(25-26) was interesting. In any case, I only said it was worth listening, I didn't say it was an absolute no-brainer.

52 minutes ago, Protec said:

GMBG baby! For old times sake, back when ads for menstrual pads didn't block my entire site interface... 🫣

spacer.png

Today I’ve got a Hyatt regency double ad.  The ad that pops up at top of screen is the worst.  I’m ready the comments thru a mail slot, then the page reloads!?!?

• Haha 1