Hockey Wilderness

Article: Judd Brackett Talks Up Wild Prospect Charlie Stramel

“Abrasive, downhill forechecker” with size  

this is a type of player the Wild have lacked, maybe forever.  Think Foligno with some hockey sense and hands.  The fact he couldn’t make his college roster as a sophomore tempers offensive expectations, but if he’s a middle six energy banger I’m good with that

i would rather Judd had picked him in 2nd round (or later) but this team has always needed (size+sandpaper) so this is now my current ceiling for Stram-Diesel

• Like 2

I continue to believe Brackett picked for need, because they didn't know Rossi would explode.  They backfilled with Stramel, Kumpulainen, and Heidt all at once. Rossi ascending fairly quickly makes the "need" less...well...needy.  Injuries have played a part in Stramel's struggles.  The main thing is what 2, 3, 4 years says down the line.  If he's all AHL depth, and doesn't even see NHL duty...then yeah.  It's a waste. 

Brackett said he was going to play for his former coach, which made me research that. At first, I had wondered if it was his 1st year coach at Wisconsin and immediately started thinking that couldn't be right.

The coach he mentioned must have been Adam Nightingale - "On August 27, 2020, he was named the head coach for the USA Hockey National Team Development Program under-17 team."

Stramel played for the U.S. National Development Team in 20-21 and 21-22. He definitely had his best season in 21-22, when he collected 15 points in 16 games. It'll be interesting to see how Stramel does at Michigan State.

• Like 1

Verified Member

I'm excited for what Stramel can bring. I'm convinced that his struggles have less to do about talent and more to do with mourning. I believe this is the thing where a change of scenery might be real beneficial. 

Another thing to look at, though, is Stramel is not a guy who's going to put up big statistical numbers. To rate him, it's going to have to be the eye test to make sure he is playing hard and using that big frame. I did not see this in his 5 shifts of the NCAA tournament, he was kind of on autopilot. 

I suspect that if he's engaged, we'll have a real good player on our hands, but a player who will likely need some time in the A. 

I was pretty vocal about being disappointed in Stramel's performance last season, especially when the he was moved to 4th line wing.

I'll be interested in seeing what he does at MSU, but to paraphrase Russo/Pants on the Worst Seats Podcast - he had two different coaches at Wisconsin (Granato and Hastings) and both coaches he 'underperformed' for, you can only go through so many coaches/systems that 'dont fit the player' before it starts to be an issue with the player.  Also, as a player, if you're good enough then it doesn't matter what coach you have because the talent and skill are going to come through...sometimes a damn good player can force a hand of a coach.

I wish the kid luck in MSU and hope the change of scenery works out for him.  He's a 19 year old kid, so I'm going to hold out some hope that it clicks for him somewhere.

• Like 1

I'm higher on him than most, but wouldn't mind seeing the Wild grab C-Michael Hage in round 1, then follow that up with Adam Kleber or Harrison Brunicke.

Those guys might be ready to help the Wild in 3-4 years. Both of those defenders are listed at 6'3" or larger, and right-handed. The ratings get all over the board for guys projected in the 2nd round, but if one of them is available at #45, seems like a good idea for the Wild to grab them.