Hockey Wilderness

Article: Can Berkly Catton Be the Wild's Annual "Faller" Pick In the Draft?

Did it again: posted a thing detailing something in another topic, just for the exact talking point to be an article that drops minutes later...

Anyway, Athletic and Joe Smith has Eiserman dropping to 13. Can't say I'd be against Catton or Eiserman being the ones who drop.

• Like 1

Verified Member

Tony is right, this is the type of kid that Brackett goes nuts over. Someone who would drop and is an excellent skater. 

I know the kid will fill out, but at 5'11" 163, that seems like he's going to want to play in the 180s. What does that make him? Very similar to Dino. Since we already have Dino and he is just starting, do we want to clone that?

Of course, Catton seems to have better hands. 

Tony mentions Lindstrom. I'd sure rather have that guy. But, that guy may not be a Brackett type of player. Brackett doesn't seem to care too much about size, rather he has other things he looks for, like a dropping prospect who skates really well and has skill. 

Could this guy be something special, or a drafted version of Tyler Ennis? I'm leaning towards Ennis. If Catton and Yakemchuk are available at 13, I'd have to say Yakemchuk should be the selection.

It would be shocking if Catton doesn't go top 10. I've never seen him lower than 11 and his production is top notch.

My best guess for the Wild is looking at the following options at #13:

Konsta Helenius - C/RW | Jukurit - 5'11" 181

Beckett Sennecke - RW | Oshawa - 6'2" 181

Michael Hage - C | Chicago - 6'1" 190

Mich. Brandsegg-Nygård - F | Mora IK - 6'1" 198

Liam Greentree - RW | Windsor - 6'2" 198

Adam Jiricek - RD | HC Plzen - 6'2" 168

Eiserman could be there as well if front offices are concerned his game isn't well rounded enough to flourish at the highest level. Iginla is another forward who could be there, but I'm guessing someone grabs him top 12. Yakemchuk and Silayev have some pretty extreme differences in ratings, so it might be possible one of those defenders is there, but hard to say.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, mnfaninnc said:

Tony is right, this is the type of kid that Brackett goes nuts over. Someone who would drop and is an excellent skater. 

I know the kid will fill out, but at 5'11" 163, that seems like he's going to want to play in the 180s. What does that make him? Very similar to Dino. Since we already have Dino and he is just starting, do we want to clone that?

Of course, Catton seems to have better hands. 

Tony mentions Lindstrom. I'd sure rather have that guy. But, that guy may not be a Brackett type of player. Brackett doesn't seem to care too much about size, rather he has other things he looks for, like a dropping prospect who skates really well and has skill. 

Could this guy be something special, or a drafted version of Tyler Ennis? I'm leaning towards Ennis. If Catton and Yakemchuk are available at 13, I'd have to say Yakemchuk should be the selection.

I would say that in most drafts if you're getting Tyler Ennis at 13 you're doing pretty good. Ideally you want a longer peak, but 212 points in 345 games up to his age-25 season? That's not shabby.

• Like 2

Sure is nice drafting 13th instead of 22nd. This year’s small consolation prize is opening up some fantastic possibilities. I have a lot of confidence Judd B will pick a winner. I’m guessing he grabs one of the big defenders but this kid looks intriguing. It’s fun to watch a hockey game with a player that has game breaking speed. Definitely keeps the opposing D honest. 

i do wonder if we can instead package the pick + spurge and just dump him to some team that is looking to build their prospects and make floor or willing to take some salary. that would create a bit more room for us! then let's dump midds and replace him and spurge with someone

i am sort of intrigued by Zadorov. Maybe he can be had at around 3-3 range and is like 7'5'' so will be something to behold!

oooh putting him next to Faber and being his protector might be better than having Faber and Brodin skating as a pair......and just waiting to be hit and injured

then ask, beg, bribe either of these (pick 2) to join Kap Boldy and EK (this route would allow us to stick with everyones favorite Rossi)

Marchessault, Guentzel, Tuch or one of the Canes players (Teravainen?)

Correction on Tuch - forgot he is signed, so that does complicate things. 

Edited by OldDutchChip

Verified Member

I think Catton has a very good chance of falling because he’s slightly over 5’10. The problem is we have far too many players that size. I guess I’d rather pick him than another Charlie Stramel.

1 hour ago, Tony Abbott said:

I like the idea of getting bigger by signing Marchessault. Think he'll solve the size issues.

Ok this must be sarcasm.  While he would be another tiny dancer in this lineup, he would be a much needed heart/soul/spine injection that this team needs desperately.  Push the apathetic old core (Foligno, fraud, nojo) further down the lineup 

He CAN... but he won't be. 

If he somehow falls out of the top-11 picks, Philly will snap him up in a heartbeat. 

Only way to get him is if we trade up. Unless somebody is overdrafting Solberg or Sennecke because of their size, which is a possibility, we'll have to get used to Helenius being BPA. 

Edited by B1GKappa97