Hockey Wilderness

Article: The Wild Can't Let Perfect Be the Enemy Of the Good With Rossi

39 minutes ago, mnfaninnc said:
  1. I think that Kaprizov understands that '25 is the year where we are going to gain some pretty good UFA talent. Next season is the last season we have the steep penalties, and I think this plan he is aware of. That said, this is one more year where the kids can grow and he can see where we're headed. If I'm not mistaken, I believe July 1st 2025 is the soonest he can sign an extension. I'm thinking the team will sign a couple of free agents and then go to Kaprizov for the extension. If he won't sign, Guerin will try to send him to where he wants to go much like Fiala went. 
  2. It seems like we have a different projection to what a difference B. Tkachuk would make throughout the team. His value is outside of his numbers, and his numbers are really good. Tkachuk helps us both get to the playoffs and win in the playoffs. It is true that Guentzel and Buchnevich are 2 players for the same price sort of, but as the cap goes up, Tkachuk's deal looks better and better. I'd suggest, though, that some of our prospects will be making a difference by then and we'll need space for them. Though unproven, their less expensive contracts with a top tier player in Tkachuk probably help more than the lower tier of Guentzel and Buchnevich. Tkachuk would be expensive to acquire, the other 2 would be UFAs. 

As for the Kaptaincy, it is a nice gesture, but at this point, I believe the A is enough, at least for now. But, I do agree with you that Spurgeon needs to turn in the C.

I’m not far off to your points I believe, but I do think captaincy is a crucial step, although he may have already been approached and declined….who knows 

W Tkachuk it’s a bit of a stretch but I think guentzek + buch is a great (doable) get and something that can greatly improve teams trajectory and compliment kap well

Wild best be ready, this will be interesting summer 

All Guentzel and Buchnevich do for this team, IMO, is greatly reduce the Wild's window to win. How many 30-plus players can you have on the team at a time? Both are good goal-scorers, but that player type at that stage of their careers can easily fade in a couple of years.

• Like 1

Verified Member
5 hours ago, Tony Abbott said:

Russo's getting the sense that the Wild are finally coming to their senses after their pro scouting meetings -- basically, he's on an ELC, they're not contenders now, why not give him another year? 

The fact they had to come to their senses at all is just another nail in Guerin's coffin for me. He is an idiot who, like somebody else mentioned, lost the plot on us not contending until after the heavy buyout period.

If Kap is going to leave us, then let him leave. For an NHL team to be a consistent contendor we need more than 1 guy--even if he is an all-star player. We can't make our team worse trying to bend over backward getting him to resign by trying to make our team "good now" when we have almost $15 million in dead cap.

Again, $15M in dead cap so lets get rid of a really really good rookie center on an ELC and trade him for prospects or somebody else that will cost more!

With those prospects we could get anybody! We could even get another Marco Rossi--a promising goal scoring center which we really need on this team!

• Like 3

Verified Member
On 6/4/2024 at 12:51 PM, SpaceCowboy said:

I like how Tony started the article regarding Perfection being the enemy of good. Replacing a good young center for a player that fits the "perfect" description seems very challenging to accomplish. On the same thought, what GM would get rid of a better player than Rossi for a smaller center? I find it hard to believe any team would make that trade.

For the Wild, a team that is starved for secondary scoring, it is awfully hard to see where there is no place for a young, 40 point center on the roster. It is hard for me to see how he is not a fit or cannot be utilized productively.

Thank you SpaceCowboy, somebody finally agrees with me. A team that has a hard time putting the puck in the net, we cannot afford to get rid of a 22 year old point getter, makes zero sense.

• Like 1

Verified Member
6 hours ago, Tony Abbott said:

Russo's getting the sense that the Wild are finally coming to their senses after their pro scouting meetings -- basically, he's on an ELC, they're not contenders now, why not give him another year? 

This should have been obvious. To have them to have to come to their senses on something this fundamental given the cap space situation they are in does not induce a lot of confidence in future decision making. If you want to mess with Rossi's mind mission accomplished. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, MacGyver said:

If you want to mess with Rossi's mind mission accomplished

And that's the thing right there. The guy does everything asked of him, has a great season and the reward is to publicly have your name thrown out there as trade bait. The very definition of incompetence IMO.

• Like 3

Verified Member

Yup, honestly if I was Rossi I would want a trade away from BG and the Wild organization that has basically done nothing but shit on him since he got here.

I hope they do trade him and then he comes to down and lights up the fucking lamp all the time just because the Wild have jerked him around so much and treated him like shit.

Verified Member
5 hours ago, TCMooch said:

Yup, honestly if I was Rossi I would want a trade away from BG and the Wild organization that has basically done nothing but shit on him since he got here.

I hope they do trade him and then he comes to down and lights up the fucking lamp all the time just because the Wild have jerked him around so much and treated him like shit.

I think this is Guerin's management style. Bull in a china shop approach. Works in some instances and not in others. He just doesn't seem to think things through. He doesn't have the tempermant or patience. Someone mentioned earlier about Darby Hendrickson turning down a front office job and decided just to leave the franchise after his entire career was spent here. 

Darby most likely has been witness to enough of Guerins style behind closed doors that he'd rather not be part of it. When it becomes work just to be around a personality like that it can be stressful day in and day out. Makes you hate your job. I've worked for people who I'm pretty sure Guerin is just like.  

Don't think players around the league don't hear the stories and factor that in to whether they would want to come here or not. 

• Like 1