Hockey Wilderness

Article: The Wild Can't Let Perfect Be the Enemy Of the Good With Rossi

9 minutes ago, Citizen Strife said:

Watching the Wild give up Rossi to get a package for a higher pick would be even worse.

Ya, I'm not on board for that either. I also think the price would be to high to move up 3 spots for a player that has just as many question marks as the player they could get standing pat. shrug...

• Like 2

Verified Member

I'm with Will on this. If you want a guy to have 60 assists, then you have to put him with 2 guys who score goals. 

Why does Rossi score 20 goals? Because he has to play with perimeter players Zuccarello and Johansson. Someone's got to take the middle. Someone's got to score. He sees the need and goes and does it.

IMO, Zuccarello and Johansson are NOT top 6 players on a good team. Zuccarello is too slow now, and Johansson is just not a good player. They need some guys with shots and bulk who will go to the middle of the ice. 

I don't think I'd move Rossi unless you're getting a guy who we need. B. Tkachuk fits that bill. Perhaps Mason McTavish does too. I'm sure there are a few others, and we would have to give up a lot on paper besides Rossi. 

For the record, though, I still would have taken Lundell at 9 in that draft.

• Like 1

Verified Member

Is Shooter dangling Rossi as a conversation starter? Maybe he's just trying to make a deal. I'm hoping it's not just any deal. 

Or, is Shooter simply listening to people to gauge interest? He must have been a bear last season while we were losing! Could part of that have been he was disappointed in the guys he believed in?

I've got a feeling that these guys he went out on a limb for had better produce early or fear getting jettisoned. They're not all on NMCs.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Ok I’ll say it again -

it’s NOT about Rossi, it’s about Kaprizov and getting the team to another level NOW 

this cannot be status quo scenario playing out for the next 2 years. if Rossi has value then he can be sacrificed to improve the team in more immediate future

your whole argument doesn’t take into account the current state of the team and the urgency they are facing. The number one thing for our GM is to ensure consistency w Kap at the helm, Rossi can be used to prop up the team (as trade piece) and build it better to optimize and  support Kaprizov

and Rossi may not fall into the above category so you use his inflated value and potentially a prospect and pick and get a better player for the now to successfully fit the above categories

Edited by OldDutchChip
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, OldDutchChip said:

Rossi may not fall into the above category so you use his inflated value and potentially a prospect and pick and get a better player for the now to successfully fit the above categories

I don't think anyone anticipates Rossi being traded at an inflated value. He had a solid season, but not one that will blow anyone away. Sure, it would be nice to get a guy who is bigger, stronger, faster, more skilled, and in his 20s, but most feel it's unlikely that Guerin will be able to accomplish all of those things by trading Rossi.

If they include Hunt, Heidt, and a pick, perhaps the return gets more interesting.

• Like 1

Verified Member
Posted (edited)

The Devils are setting their goalie sights higher than Gus I'm sure. They want a Jusse Sarros or a Swayman. Gus will not move the needle for them at all. I doubt they would even be interested in Wallstedt. They want results starting next season. 

Rossi has no inflated value he has great potential. Something more valuable to the Wild than anyone else right now. That's why I say whatever you get for him would be more of a lateral move. If you have to start packaging one or more of our higher value prospects to make an improvement or to further entice Kaprizov to stay I'm not convinced that's such a good idea. Billy made this bed by poor signings of aging players. They can't be traded because of contract clauses so that has pushed him to try to move one of the most promising of our young prospects. So does Billy know Kaprizov is getting restless?  If so then he is dealing from desperation and that is not where you want to negotiate from. 

All Billy has accomplished so far is to mess with Rossi's head and confidence. 

Edited by MacGyver
  • Like 5

Verified Member

Another thing to consider is that MN could need an NHL backup if they traded Gus and they could be looking for a better defenseman. 

All this don't trade Rossi knee-jerkin is unnecessary. We have no idea. 

Florida gets OEL on defegolfingnse after lots of people souring on him. Now FL has quietly stacked their roster and they pay 10M+ just on goalies. 

What if MN traded Rossi in a move for a new top pairing d-man? Depending who it is, or with other transactions maybe it's great? I would like to see the Wild with balance and depth to win. Rossi 100% could be a nice part of that. Guerin is in the spotlight now. If I give Boldy grief for golfing. Guerin should get guff for GMing a National Team. Prestigious title, my ass! Better do good with the Wild.

Verified Member

Brad Marchand 5' 9" and 176 pounds

Year 2 stats. 20 goals, 21 assists

Marco Rossi 5' 9" and 182 pounds

Year 2 stats 21 goals, 19 assists.

The Wild should be over the moon about Rossi.  They have never had a player of this caliber at this age at the center position. Give him decent linemates to play with consistently and his stats will only get better.

• Like 12

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, MacGyver said:

So does Billy know Kaprizov is getting restless?  If so then he is dealing from desperation and that is not where you want to negotiate from. 

Regardless of 97's thoughts, trading Rossi would be one more unforced error by Guerin so then one has to ask "how many more does he get before he proves he's unqualified for the job". 

I'm back to thinking (Guerin - NHL career) = Fenton.  Think how crazy that doesn't sound.  If you remove Faber from Guerin's resume because it was possible due to Fenton's moves what has Guerin accomplished beside locking up the apathetic old core, creating cap hell, Middleton, and a couple of NHL/Wild investigations into possible Guerin misconduct, Nojo X2.  That's not much to show for his time in MN.

I'm not going to give him credit for signing Ek, 97 or Boldy because Nordy could have pulled that off.  Seriously they weren't going anywhere.

Edited by Pewterschmidt
  • Like 4

Verified Member
15 hours ago, Willy the poor boy said:

Sounds like NJD is willing to trade out of the 10 spot. What would it take to move up 3 spots and would it be worth it?

Give them Gus. 

Then yes. 

Verified Member

I don't get the whole 'Rossi MUST BE a top-6 center!' line of thinking either. I mean they started him on a 3rd line with Foligno and Gaudreau and he was still putting up some decent production. So clearly he can play that role.

Ek was once a 3rd line C who has turned into our best C, so why's it a huge deal if Rossi starts down there? At worst, kick Ek back down the lineup then if its such a big deal for Rossi to be a two-way C. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Pewterschmidt said:

I'm not going to give him credit for signing Ek, 97 or Boldy because Nordy could have pulled that off.

I'm not going to give much credit for Kaprizov, but JEE and Boldy are on really good contracts for the Wild, so I'll give him some credit there.

I agree that much of the talent on this roster was already part of the Wild organization before Guerin started. Faber and Ohgren is looking like a very solid deal for the asset of Fiala, however. Looking forward to seeing Ohgren's impact in a full season with the Wild.

Yurov should be added next season, and Kaprizov extended, and that's when it will really be time to determine Guerin's impact on the Wild.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Imyourhuckleberry said:

I'm not going to give much credit for Kaprizov, but JEE and Boldy are on really good contracts for the Wild, so I'll give him some credit there.

I agree that much of the talent on this roster was already part of the Wild organization before Guerin started. Faber and Ohgren is looking like a very solid deal for the asset of Fiala, however. Looking forward to seeing Ohgren's impact in a full season with the Wild.

Yurov should be added next season, and Kaprizov extended, and that's when it will really be time to determine Guerin's impact on the Wild.

If 97 leaves when his contract is up (or gets dealt b/c it’s obvious he won’t resign) does Guerin also need to pack his bags?

#whyalltheGuerinhate

Provisional Member

Guerin is like a firefighter that starts his own fires so he can rush in to save the family’s dog. 
Rossi is a great value and a good teammate. A player this talented hasn’t come along since…..Kevin Fiala. 

I don't think Guerin's job security is tied completely to whether Kaprizov stays or leaves.  It really depends if the team's record actually craters if he's not there.

The thing is, I don't think the team as constructed would be as bad as when Gaborik and Burns both left.  The team didn't have playoff success without Kaprizov, didn't with him and Fiala, didn't with him and Boldy/Ek/Faber (yet), and god only knows what the solution actually is.  

Kaprizov is a great player, but $9m+ buys any replacement player the team would want, AND if a team throws 2-3 mid/later firsts, a prospect or two, or who knows what, yes.  That team makes out.  However, the team makes out better than Gaborik and Burns leaving for Coyle and...whatever else we got back then.

54 minutes ago, B1GKappa97 said:

At worst, kick Ek back down the lineup then if its such a big deal for Rossi to be a two-way C. 

I don't want to break up the top line but we could use GREEF 2.0.  

I say bring in a quality bruiser C and create another top tier checking line with Foligno.

Have Rossi C a line with NoJo replaced with ?

We have many holes but in 25-26, the whole enchilada can be made.

3 hours ago, MacGyver said:

The Devils are setting their goalie sights higher than Gus I'm sure. They want a Jusse Sarros or a Swayman. Gus will not move the needle for them at all. I doubt they would even be interested in Wallstedt. They want results starting next season. 

Rossi has no inflated value he has great potential. Something more valuable to the Wild than anyone else right now. That's why I say whatever you get for him would be more of a lateral move. If you have to start packaging one or more of our higher value prospects to make an improvement or to further entice Kaprizov to stay I'm not convinced that's such a good idea. Billy made this bed by poor signings of aging players. They can't be traded because of contract clauses so that has pushed him to try to move one of the most promising of our young prospects. So does Billy know Kaprizov is getting restless?  If so then he is dealing from desperation and that is not where you want to negotiate from. 

All Billy has accomplished so far is to mess with Rossi's head and confidence. 

So three people “loved” this comment. yeap three people basically said they placed more value on Rossi and unproven prospects than their all world superstar. Brilliant!!

“If you have to start packaging one or more of our higher value prospects to make an improvement or to further entice Kaprizov to stay I'm not convinced that's such a good idea”

• Confused 1

23 hours ago, Citizen Strife said:

I hope Rossi scores 25 next year and forces Guerin to pay him and eat crow.

Obviously, this sounds like a "if anyone we really want is there, sure...but 20-25 goal scorers don't grow on trees.

25 goals and 14 assists for amazing 39 pts

So pretty much like Hartman but w more power play time and less responsibility to rough it up

Got it! Untouchable indeed

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Citizen Strife said:

Burns leaving for Coyle and...whatever else we got back then.

Zack Phillips who never saw an NHL shift.  This is an example of why trading proven NHL players for can't miss prospects is not a guarantee of a like for like trade.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Pewterschmidt said:

Zack Phillips who never saw an NHL shift.  This is an example of why trading proven NHL players for can't miss prospects is not a guarantee of a like for like trade.  

Exactly! Ooooh Zach Phillips 

also sorry for multiple posts, I’m in Oregon “wilderness” right now 

14 hours ago, mnfaninnc said:

Or, is Shooter simply listening to people to gauge interest? He must have been a bear last season while we were losing!

Yeah, there was an investigation about it and everything. 

3 hours ago, Patrick said:

Brad Marchand 5' 9" and 176 pounds

Year 2 stats. 20 goals, 21 assists

Marco Rossi 5' 9" and 182 pounds

Year 2 stats 21 goals, 19 assists.

The Wild should be over the moon about Rossi.  They have never had a player of this caliber at this age at the center position. Give him decent linemates to play with consistently and his stats will only get better.

I know Wyatt Johnston is younger (but Rossi had that setback/lost year, too), but look at what Johnston did as a rookie, his leap forward this year, then look at Rossi's year. Hell, on top of that, remember that Rossi had at least three goals waived off because Marcus Foligno can't stop being offside or in the crease.

• Like 4