Hockey Wilderness

Article: Drafting Tij Iginla Is the Only Way To Stop Another Iginla Haunting Minnesota

Iginla is in that, "if he drops, fucking take him" sort of scenario.  Silayev, Eiserman, and Yakemchuk also seem to fit that category.  After that, there's a bunch of people who feel like good or solid picks, but I'm not sold on anyone coming off an injury (Jiricek) or people who constitute "safe" picks (Greentree, NB, Helenius).  

I kinda want and expect Calgary to take him.  I'm sure they have other needs, but you don't get scenarios like this too often where trying to draft a guy who projects right around your spot is also "that guy's son."  It just seems too perfect.  The Wild would do well if he falls, and would be stupid to pass on him if it isn't either Silayev or Eiserman sitting there.

• Like 3

Verified Member

I'll start with bloodlines. I am a big believer in bloodlines and that is a main reason I think Spacek will eventually make it. I've loved what the Toronto Blue Jays have done with bloodlines. 

However, bloodlines aside, fear of what Iginla will do to the Wild is not reason enough to pick him. What I noticed was 6' 180 on his measurements. I also noticed LHS. And, he's a wing. I've gotta say if he falls in our laps I'd still be a bit disappointed, mainly because I think Shooter needs to be moving up and grab Lindstrom. Or Silayev is a good guy. I could also go Yakemchuk in the 1st and Pulkkinen in the 2nd for some beef on the back end.

I remember Jerome being pretty thick, and that suggests that Tij may gain 30 lbs. If that happens, he could be a monster to handle. But, that's what's needed, can he do that? I also remember Jerome being a bit mean. Does Tij have that in him too? Does he have that effort needed, the extra to bulk up? 

Maybe it would be a good pick, but I've got other prospects on my mind for what this team needs. 

• Haha 1

Verified Member
39 minutes ago, mnfaninnc said:

What I noticed was 6' 180 on his measurements.

he's only 17 and will grow a bit yet. Unless you're drafting top 3 all prospects will take some time to develop and are highly likely to get bigger.

Verified Member
20 hours ago, viper3119 said:

he's only 17 and will grow a bit yet. Unless you're drafting top 3 all prospects will take some time to develop and are highly likely to get bigger.

This is very true, but it doesn't happen without some help. One would think with the bloodlines, that he'd be motivated to be in the gym. But, this organization has a reputation of not bulking up their prospects, and, so, will he be motivated to do this on his own?

As a contrast, Lindstrom is 6'3-4" 216. It appears someone was already motivated!

Verified Member

I don't really give a shit about bloodlines or any of that crap. I've seen enough players with pro bloodlines turn out mid or worse.

Draft whoever is BPA at 13 and call it a day. If that's Iginla then great.

People I wouldn't hate the Wild draft in no order

Tij Iginla

Cole Eiserman

Carter Yakemchuk

Beckett Sennecke

• Like 1

Verified Member

There is very very little chance we get Iginla. He has raised according to every hockey outlet ranking there is. There’s even talk of Montreal taking him at #5. No way he falls past Calgary or Philadelphia either. I’d love to have him, I guess he’s a monster on the boards too, but I wouldn’t get your hopes up. The rankings stated in the article were all from the beginning of the year. With Iggy’s young age, progression throughout the reg season and his very good showing in the playoffs and the tournament lately, he’s not going to be there. I have a feeling Catton or Helenius could be there but both are smaller centers.  Yakemchuk would be fantastic but I don’t see him falling. I have this sneaking suspicion we are going to take M. Nygaud which I think would be a reach.

if we reach I’d be happy with Michael Hage which is suppose to be a 6ft 2 Center with a great shot, great speed, compete and high hockey iq.

• Like 4