Hockey Wilderness

Article: Filip Gustavsson Can Alleviate Fears During Worlds

Verified Member
18 hours ago, Imyourhuckleberry said:

That's where the stats disagree with his assessment and your eyes. In his last 10 games, he had an .878 save percentage and a goals against average over 3.2.

His last 6 games were particularly poor, with just 1 win and an .833 save%.

And let's look at before that when we had to have games to stay in the playoff hunt. It was L after L. And with that it was giving up 3rd period leads. I get that both goalies did that, but, Fleury has a reputation of showing up big in big games. I thought he looked really good vs. Boston, but I'm not sure I can find other games against best competition where he shined. He certainly couldn't get us wins vs. Winnipeg. Or Dallas. Or St. Louis. 

Fleury played well against bottom 10 teams, but that was pretty much it. My eyes told me his reflexes were starting to go, and a goalie his size has to have his reflexes or he's toast. He can still retire and we recoup his $2.5m before the start of the season. We won't be able to use that money for much initially, but it grows substantially if we bank it and use it at the TDL.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mnfaninnc said:

Fleury played well against bottom 10 teams, but that was pretty much it.

Exactly. Gustavsson had a .908 save percentage in his last 20 appearances, and almost all of his losses came against playoff teams like Colorado(3 games against the #1 offense), Nashville, or Carolina.

Gus did lose one to Anaheim, but have to put some of that on the team when they cannot muster any goals against a bottom 3 team despite 5 PP opportunities.

Fleury was sheltered by not facing top 10 offenses nearly as frequently and he still posted worse results.

• Like 1

On 5/15/2024 at 9:15 AM, mnfaninnc said:

However, there is a high probability that Fleury will suffer an injury, and also a pretty good track record on The Wall that he will too.

And Gus? (Include injuries between the ears)

Verified Member
32 minutes ago, FredJohnson said:

Btw...Goligoski is "Goose". Gustavsson is Gus or Gus Bus.

I have refused to go this route, and Goligoski has retired thus putting Goose2 into the Goose position.

35 minutes ago, FredJohnson said:

And Gus? (Include injuries between the ears)

Precisely. He was hurt short term last season too. My point is that we're going to need all 3. Hopefully they all don't decide to get injured at the same time!

• Like 1