Hockey Wilderness

Article: The Wild Set A First-Round Standard A Year Ago

Verified Member
2 hours ago, Mateo3xm said:

At this point it just seems like BG is trying to take the blame off of himself instead of realizing that this is the team he built and it obviously isn’t good enough. Somebody had to be blamed so it was the coach. Who knows what type of restrictions the owner has put on him though. It’s become evident that the owner refuses to let this team truly rebuild in order to get the players you need to win a Stanley Cup. Down the line, if BG is fired, I don’t see any reasonable GM’s wanting to sign here knowing that the result is going to be the same year after year. 
I could see first time GM’s using it as experience to get into and get experience at the position so they can get a job elsewhere. Even then it’s a gamble with the restrictions the owner seems to have put in place.

If no reasonable GMs would want to sign here, what makes you think that "better" coaches or players would choose to come here either?

Verified Member
2 hours ago, raithis said:

what makes you think that "better" coaches or players would choose to come here either?

When did I ever assert that better coaches or players would choose to come here if that was the situation? Did you accidentally respond to someone else? Not really sure where you’re getting that from..

Verified Member
1 hour ago, Mateo3xm said:

When did I ever assert that better coaches or players would choose to come here if that was the situation? Did you accidentally respond to someone else? Not really sure where you’re getting that from..

You made an assertion that the owner won't let the team do a full rebuild.  If that's the only way you think Guerin can turn this around, then that would mean the deck is stacked against him if he isn't allowed to do that.  If no reasonable GM would want to be in the same situation, then coaches and players would likely see this too, wouldn't they?

The thing is, a full rebuild isn't the only way this gets turned around.  We were already mired in that situation and we're close to finally coming out the other side.  I think we have drawn a good hand from the deck, but Billy needs to play his cards a bit better going forward.

• Like 1

Verified Member
On 5/1/2024 at 3:34 PM, TheGoosesAreLooses said:

It comes down to playing like a team and not taking nights off. That is on the coach and GM to punish guys when they aren't in that game giving the effort they should be. By not punishing Mojo they made a statement that it was acceptable to take nights off. That attitude will become infectious among a losing team.

I've coached teams that put forth great effort, and I've coached teams that haven't. You are spot on about laziness being infectious. But, sometimes, you just don't have anyone else that can take that place effectively. I think with the injuries, we were kind of in that place this season. I do think Beckman tried. I also think he needed 20 lbs. to be effective. If he was really trying, he would have done that in an offseason by now. If he shows up in training camp the same way, it's time to trade him.

Verified Member
10 hours ago, Mateo3xm said:

Perhaps they weren’t playing to their best ability but don’t you think this team obviously has a lack of high quality players to send them farther?  It would be demoralizing to me to if our team didn’t have the personnel to complete with these talented teams yet the GM’s standards are far higher than the team’s capabilities. Even if they were playing to their highest capacity, I don’t think our team is skilled or deep enough to compete with Vegas, Dallas, Col, Winn etc.

One identity that this team has had is it's a hard working team. But, they didn't do that this season very well. If you're less talented, well, that means you've got to outwork the other guys pretty significantly. To me, I saw a lot of quit, and that reveals the heart. 

• Like 1

Verified Member
10 hours ago, Mateo3xm said:

But what about all the other holes on this team?….. 

this team doesn’t have strong goaltending at the moment, the defense is smaller and also not very good (besides a few players) we have basically one elite line and it falls off rather drastically from there. BT himself isn’t going to turn this team around, I simply dont see it. Also what would we have to give to get him and how would that put us back in other areas?

Head over to my fanpost (for lack of a better term) for more details on what I'd at least give up for him. Spoiler alert, it is an overpayment on paper. It was also written before I heard Yurov had signed his K deal. But, I would still do it.

Verified Member
3 hours ago, raithis said:

The thing is, a full rebuild isn't the only way this gets turned around.  We were already mired in that situation and we're close to finally coming out the other side.  I think we have drawn a good hand from the deck, but Billy needs to play his cards a bit better going forward.

Sometimes one of the hardest things to do is to know when the present is upon you and to quit building futures. That would mean a change in philosophy, and starting to use the assets differently. We're close to that point now, but not quite there.

Verified Member

I'm just a ex player from the early-mid 90's. Never got drafted but hung my skates out to dry after Junior A hockey. Been following are second hand me down team from the start.

I'm sure everyone is in tune with needing new ownership/management. This franchise had done nothing but a Cinderella run in 2003. If Kaprizov is gone, boldy is gone, Ek wants a trade etc etc! Hard working team but need new blood and a total rebuild.

Verified Member

What Guerin said is just lip service when he turns around and locks up all the guys responsible for the playoff failures and his actions compel a potential high ended like Yurov to delay his arrival.  Sure seems like he’s just trying to maintain that status quo.

• Like 2

Verified Member
42 minutes ago, Beast said:

What Guerin said is just lip service when he turns around and locks up all the guys responsible for the playoff failures and his actions compel a potential high ended like Yurov to delay his arrival.  Sure seems like he’s just trying to maintain that status quo.

Yeah, It's looked like crap since last Summer's signings and the results of those decisions.

I look at it kinda like putting a dog down. You don't wanna do it cause it's hard and painful even though it might be the best thing. It drags out but there is good reason to rip off the band-aid, take the pain, and move on. 

In this context, it doesn't have to be a full rebuild but keeping Spurgeon, Foligno, Fred, NoJo, Zuccarello, Fleury, Goligoski, and Merrill is like a lumpy, tumor-riddled old Labrador who hasn't been breaking ice to retireve late season mallards for years and couldn't even jump in the boat if it tried...

On 5/2/2024 at 9:05 PM, mnfaninnc said:

I do think Beckman tried.

I think a year ago Guerin had little to no confidence in Beckman and Walker’s (remember him) chances of becoming pro’s, and turns out he was right.  That’s why his signed the apathetic core extensions before last season.  (Rossi was also question mark at that time).  Faced with choice of a bottom six of sub par veterans OR 6 Jake Liberace’s Guerin chose the vets

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Pewterschmidt said:

I think a year ago Guerin had little to no confidence in Beckman and Walker’s (remember him) chances of becoming pro’s, and turns out he was right.  That’s why his signed the apathetic core extensions before last season.  (Rossi was also question mark at that time).  Faced with choice of a bottom six of sub par veterans OR 6 Jake Liberace’s Guerin chose the vets

i think that is about as accurate as we can see. Well done.