Hockey Wilderness

Article: Charlie Stramel Deserves Another Shot

8 hours ago, Protec said:

Yurov looks way better than Ohgren and much less injured.

The team said after the draft that they took a calculated gamble on taking Ohgren before Yurov. The belief was that Yurov would carry the Russian prospect scare and would still be available for the Wild if they took Ohgren first. They wanted both and had Yurov rated well ahead of Ohgren but gambled abnd won.

Verified Member
1 hour ago, Willy the poor boy said:

A lot of talk that Rossi is to small. I personally think he will be better than Boldy. Boldy is bigger but he's soft. He doesn't lay anyone out or put the big hit on anyone. JMO.

Can anyone check to see if Boldy has a Grandma who's house is being repossessed for not paying taxes and he's only playing hockey to pay off what his grandfather built with his bare hands like the Anti Happy Gilmore. Golfer at the core forced into a hockey career to save grandma.

On 4/2/2024 at 7:13 PM, Citizen Strife said:

"passing higher end skill for large size isn't a recipe for success."

Tell that to Nashville, which always seemed to truck the Wild more often than not.  Trying to score goals is great until a big player comes along and always clogs up passing lanes or pushes people off the puck.

Why hasn't Nashville been winning cups. Size helps but you need skill. Hard to get both at every position. If the smaller guys have more skill and speed they can be effective. 

Remember all those years the hawks owned us? We employed a big physical attack against them and they were just too fast and skilled and we all know what happened.

• Like 1

On 4/3/2024 at 8:07 AM, Imyourhuckleberry said:

Yeah, I think Jack McBain was another guy who wasn't overly productive his first 2 years of college, but made the NHL. McBain is nearing a 30 point scorer(per 80 games) on lower lines. If Stramel can be that type of player in 12.5 minutes per game, that could be useful--an upgrade from Duhaime.

I agree but considering who was still available (as Tony pointed out) I think that's a pretty low bar for a 1st rounder.

Again, not saying stramel can't become an nhler I think he was a reach for that pick. Big body doesn't equate to success. 

• Like 1

Verified Member

I'd love to see Stramel transfer to another school. I think it will help him get past the grieving period to see a different rink. Personally, this is where I believe we should start with him, getting him over his father's death and how much he misses a guy so close to him on the ice. 

He had 4 shifts in his final game of the year. Clearly he didn't have Hastings' trust to play more. But, in those 4 shifts, he didn't look like he was putting forth a balls out effort either. He looked like he was going through the motions, and, he didn't look like he was very aggressive with the body either. He did have a look like he really didn't care if he was there or not. 

That is the look of a guy who needs a change of scenery.

• Like 1

Verified Member

I agree  that we do need to get a little bigger more physical but i also dont mind having some smaller guys if they are blazing fast  Dino etc or Zucc great hands,   Rossi i dont believe reached his ceiling yet  same for Boldy  and who knows maybe Kaprizov is still learning  what things to add to his game .  

• Like 1