Hockey Wilderness

Article: The Wild Are Caught In A Vicious Cycle

Verified Member
20 hours ago, Patrick said:

Statistically speaking tanking doesn't work.

Patrick,

you need to lay off the bong hits if you think tanking doesn’t work. That’s incredibly ignorant to say. Something like 23 out of the last 25 year Stanley cup winners had at least one draft pick between pic 1-6.

its an incredibly import part of the equation to win a cup. It’s obviously not the only important thing, you need incredible drafting, management, star players, a big team, depth and to make the right trades at the right time etc.

i still don’t believe people actually think this bs when you look at who and what every Stanley cup winning team has.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, raithis said:

"Think you could write a story like this?"

Apparently that's taken literally at times.  I feel like I've read that same article on multiple occasions.  It's a vicious recycle of sorts.  One might suggest that it validates the assertions being made, but that's only if the other parts of the picture are again ignored - the biggest part of that picture being the patience for the prospects we have to develop and displace some of the veteran players to lesser roles or off the roster entirely.

That's not to slag on the writers because there are a lot of interesting takes too and I really do appreciate that.  Tony himself has written a lot of good articles, as have many of the other writers.  I'd like to see Luke, Kalisha, and Justin write a little more often, and I certainly don't want Tony to stop writing.

I may not always agree with everyone's perspective, but I like the thought process.  What I don't like is beating a dead horse just for the sake of beating it rather than realistic, thorough analysis that supports the point being made, regardless of whether I agree with it.

It's not beating a dead horse if there is a cycle the wild perpetually fall into.

Last 10 to 15 years the wilds mo has been the same and the results are the same. 

I think alot of people see the pattern and want to see change. 

Verified Member
20 hours ago, Mateo3xm said:

You can't be serious? I like the enthusiasm but you seriously think the Wild have any chance of competing for a Stanley Cup in 2025? That's absolutely crazy.

this team is a mess defensively, shaky on goaltending and the core is past their prime. The new players don't typically really hit their peak till age 24-26. there is a big gap between the up and coming players and the core players

Flower is 40, Zucc is 37, Foligno is 33, Hartman is 30, Bogosian is 34, Brodin is 31, Johansson is 34, Freddy is 31, Merell is 30.

Statistically at age 29 players start to decline. Now obviously that doesn't mean everyone but that's a lot of holes to fill and not enough prospects ready to take their place.

Lol. The core is Kaprizov, Boldy and Ek and Brodin, Spurgeon and Faber on the blue line.  Only Spurgeon is past his prime.  This team is primed to contend from 26-30 if we can resign Kaprizov. 

• Like 1