Hockey Wilderness

Article: Guerin Created Hockey's Most Chaotic Team

17 hours ago, Tony Abbott said:

You don't need that top pick... but it helps a lot. You're not relying on teams making a mistake (Yurov could've easily been taken by Pick 24; the Wild had to trade into the fifth round to get Kaprizov).

You're also getting near-immediate impact if you hit on a top-10 pick. Look how long it took for JEEK to become an impact player. Minnesota could use impact sooner rather than later.

Idk, we seem to have hit on Marco Rossi and he still took a few years to really take off. Granlund didn't take off until we moved him to wing. Even Dumba took a bit of time to pan out. Brodin and Gabby are the only top-10 picks to give damn near immediate dividends for us from what I can recall. 

I mean I understand that yes, the players that go higher in the draft are typically more talented than the ones who go later in the 1st, and generally play sooner, I'm just saying that missing out on a top-10 pick doesn't necessarily mean we won't be able to find a similar player is all. Especially in this draft. 

The only thing we're going to miss out on not picking in the top-14 this year is a potential top-4 offensive defenseman with size. Those are nice to have, but we've already got Faber and Spurgy is under contract for another 3 seasons after this and Chisholm could potentially be a top-4 quality guy himself based on his production in the AHL. 

I won't be mad if we end up picking high in this draft still, but I also don't think it means we're doomed in the near future if we don't.