Hockey Wilderness

Article: Should Macklin Celebrini Root For the Wild To Tank?

I don't know if you all got the memo from the NHL but Chicago is slated to get the #1 pick in the draft again.

The Wild will go on a hot streak soon enough and we will be looking at pick 11-15.

2 hours ago, TCMooch said:

I don't know if you all got the memo from the NHL but Chicago is slated to get the #1 pick in the draft again.

The Wild will go on a hot streak soon enough and we will be looking at pick 11-15.

That's okay. Still plenty of talent at that point in the draft this year.

Hopefully we're closer to 11 than 15 though, just to be safe. 

7 hours ago, raithis said:

And when a larger market team needs that high draft pick, they do seem to get it fairly quickly.  Strange how that usually ends up being the case, right?  Strange how perennially bad a team like Arizona is and they've never had a #1 pick, yet somehow larger markets get that highly touted, generational talent.  The odd exception of course is Edmonton, but their luck is just insane.

The thing is, many of those teams already have an advantage just by being larger markets.  They can attract the higher end of the free agent pool far more easily than Minnesota can.  Even if Minnesota was a serious cup contender, we'd still have trouble getting players to choose us over other areas, especially earlier in their careers.

Destination or not a destination is the thing that I have to question. A lot of these players do not always like all the bright lights as they came from small communities where they had their privacy. Of course I'm older and more value that at this stage of my life, and, perhaps players like having so much to do.

I do agree that some of the warmer climates have an advantage, and many of the warmer climates also couple that with $0 state income tax. But, Minnesota has a lot to offer many of these players too. The market is mid market, but loves its hockey, so the fans treat it as a large market. 

While the lights aren't as bright as other cities, there is a more laid back attitude and a climate that is similar to where many grew up. Some value having the winter during the season where outdoor rinks are popular. Some also value the relative privacy they can get out in the suburbs. For the Scandinavian players, having a large population of that heritage in the area probably helps. I am surprised that more native sons do not come home early on, kind of like Parise did after his time in Jersey. I could see a guy like Faber staying for his full career. 

I just don't think that a blanket statement that MN isn't a destination can be stated. It takes the right person/player/personality for it to be a destination, but there are many professional athletes who play up in the area and end up staying after their career ends who were not natives. I also can't make the blanket statement that MN is a destination for all young players. All are different, and have different interests. 

I would say that we could attract more of our native sons, as well as the Swedish/Finnish players, and now it appears that we could attract some Russians as we get more in the organization. For players who may get homesick, this is a pretty good area to transition to. Just out of curiosity, for those in the area, how does Kirill fit into the area? Is there a Russian support community in the area? I would think that this would be one key that would help him resign. I know he doesn't like to talk to media much, so I'd think having some privacy would be an important consideration as well as having a roster he felt he could win with. 

22 minutes ago, B1GKappa97 said:

That's okay. Still plenty of talent at that point in the draft this year.

Hopefully we're closer to 11 than 15 though, just to be safe. 

I'm still hoping to stay around 6-8. I think it's doable especially if we sell with a mediocre February. March's schedule suggests we could make up ground, but we may just be too far away for that to matter. 

I'm not in favor of tanking, but staying within striking distance of lottery selection is important. A healthy top 6 for us I do not believe can carry the team, so if our depth lower in the lineup is sold, I think the best we could do is around .500 going forward. 

I'm not too worried about the compensation we'd get from the selling, and I wouldn't mind seeing it in future drafts with a little higher choice. It's more about opening up opportunities for the kids to show what they've got. The transition has to happen at some point, this might as well be the time. 

• Like 1

Agree that tanking is a major waste at this point.  Yeah, sure it's something to have fun with and semi root for but the gains from tanking with this team are going to be in the neighborhood of a 2nd rd pick and a couple ping pong balls... and that is only if we embrace it and sell off a valuable piece (ie Gus).  As is, we are going to maintain .500 or slightly better and probably end up out of the top 10.

The value now is to get the young guys ice time.  Bring over the Russians.  Bring up the young D guys from Iowa.  They probably will outperform the dead weight.  They will have energy and purpose.  It will make it better to watch.  Last night was a dud except for My cousin Vinny and the 4th line.  They were motivated.