Hockey Wilderness

Article: Bill Guerin Is Gonna Go For Broke

Tom Schreier

On 1/26/2024 at 7:49 PM, Mateo3xm said:

You really think that?

this team is not built for the playoffs and has so many holes it’s ridiculous.

Competitive. This is your average team that is constantly on the bubble for playoffs.  Yes, the Wild can be competitive with this roster when healthy.  But they are not cup contenders.  We need to let our prospect pool build and see if it pays off.

• Like 1

On 1/29/2024 at 6:48 AM, Citizen Strife said:

Ask Edmonton how the previous McDavid drafting helped them...oh wait.  It didn't.  Eichel got traded from Buffalo to get his ring, so Buffalo didn't win via tanking either.  Ottawa, with 3-5 high end draft picks haven't done shit in their rebuild either.  You act as if there's a one size fits all method to winning any and all games ever.  

All you can say right now is Guerin jumped the gun (either from Leipold's mandate or his own hubris).  If any or all of the Yurov's, Wallstedt's, etc. turn into half as good a prospects as Faber did, and the Wild win next year, the hell do you say to "Oh we should have fucking tanked and given up?"  The Wild had a high pick and got Pouliot out of it once.  How'd that help them?  #1 picks like Yakupov and Daigle exist too, you know.

I'm not unrealistic.  There was every indication the Wild could have paid the price for signing the extensions.  That's all you can accuse them of yet.  Telling the team to lay down and die isn't going to fly with them, and I don't think you get that it isn't always a solution either.

If there weren't good players coming, then you'd have an argument against being "optimistic" or "naive."  One bad year doesn't mean the team is never going to make hay next year.  

You're free to root for Dallas or Colorado anytime you know.

You’re not taking into consideration an enormous amount of information and you’re all over the place.

Only one team can win the cup.

Oilers, Buffalo, Arizona and Ottawa are terribly run teams and have been for a long time. You can have some of the best players in the league and not win if you’re not well rounded and don’t have the other aspects covered. With that being said virtually every stanley cup winning team has one of those players that was picked between 1-6 and you aren’t winning a cup without them.

The nhl changed the rule so that the worst team doesn’t automatically get the 1st pick in the draft because of teams like the Sabers, Oilers and Yotes.

Buffalo is the youngest team in the nhl

Anaheim is 5th

Ottawa is the 6th youngest team 

Arizona is the 8th

Buffalo, Ottawa, Anaheim are going to be very good in about 3-5 years if they keep the majority of their best players.

Who do you think has a better chance of making a deep run in that time frame, the teams listed above (Buffalo, Ottawa, Anaheim) or the Wild?

Getting those superstar players between 1-6  overall is one of the most consistent things that Stanley cup winning teams have. You have to be in proper position and drafting high when players like Toews, Kane, Crosby, Malkin, Ovechkin, Hedman and Doughty come around..Not sure why that needs to be stated.

It’s a very very important part of the equation. The athletic did an article a while ago and came up with a team/personnel formula that virtually every Cup team had. It defines very well what a team needs to do and what they need to acquire. That’s exactly what I want the Wild to do.

You can’t seem to get it out of your head that tanking isnt giving up.

It’s like you’re triggered by that word or something.

I think you’re very unrealistic with what needs to happen. You seem to think they can go on doing what they’ve been doing since their inception and win. They may get some good players or win a round or two but that shouldn’t ever be the goal.

I’d define what you are implying as FAR more defeatist than what I’m proposing. It’s pretty obvious to most that what they’re doing isn’t working.

You just figure the Wild should make due with whatever they get between pics 10 and 25 and hope for the best? That could MAYBE work if they had some of the best scouts in the NHL and were able to get players like Tampa did in the later rounds but the Wild don’t have that luxury.

Drafting that high isn’t the only thing this team needs, they need competent management, excellent drafting in the lower rounds and size among other things.

You’re proposing all heart but no tact or brains.

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, Mateo3xm said:

The athletic did an article a while ago and came up with a team/personnel formula that virtually every Cup team had. It defines very well what a team needs to do and what they need to acquire. That’s exactly what I want the Wild to do.

Correlation does not determine causation.

I don't want the Wild following a narrative disguised as some sort of formulaic prophecy.  The value of tanking is what it is.  It isn't a silver bullet.