Hockey Wilderness

Article: Wilderness Walk: Wild Lay Down And Lose

6 hours ago, MacGyver said:

Draft picks are the hope that springs eternal with this team. This has been team prospect/draft pick for years now. Wait until Coyle, Dumba and Grandlund come up! Rossi is the no miss #1 center that we have been waiting for. Now we are awaiting our version of the Russian five. If we somehow manage to keep the one we got.  There are too many to list #1 draft picks that either didn't pan out or wound up being third or fourth line grinders. The McDavid's and Bedard's are true unicorns and there are none of them in next years draft. And as evidenced by Edmonton having one of the generational players guarantees you nothing. 

Draft picks and prospects are what teams going nowhere talk about. I would really be interested to see the list of teams players have that have NTC's and how many of those lists the Wild are on. And with BG's antics how many more will add the Wild on their no go list. So even after cap hell thaws out and we have gobs of money to throw around who is going to want to jump into this dumpster fire when they have a choice?  Fun times in the state of hockey. 

Some of this is fair, some not so much. Yes, picks and prospects are something we're very interested in. From the Guerin/Brackett era, only Rossi has made the roster, and Hunt is right behind. It takes, normally, 5 years for a prospect to make it from their draft year. Top 10 picks maybe sooner. We haven't really even seen what Brackett has been able to bring in.

It should take that prospect 5 years to make it and another 2 to adjust to the N. That means that a player like Hunt would be judged in 2026. Same with Dino. I think it speaks well of Guerin that he has not traded the prospects out for immediate help and has let them develop, but I have some serious problems with the development process, mainly in strength and weight development.

Beckman is fast approaching his 5 year mark, as is Boldy. Those are Fenton players, though. Beckman is a guy I'd like to see up, but he is hurt.

Yurov, Ohgren, Dino, Wallstedt, Lambos still should be developing. If we see them in St. Paul next season, they are ahead of schedule (except for Dino). I'd like to see Wallstedt and Lambos this season just to get a looksie of what they're all about. 

We decided to rebuild on the fly. We knew, eventually, we'd have to transition. Now is the time to start that trek. Not all will be hits, history tells us, but maybe we can get a little lucky.

So, NJD needs a goalie. Would Fleury like to add his idol Brodeur's team to his list of teams? I think this is a viable question when Goose2 and The Wall get healthy. It would be completely up to Fleury, but, NJD is a contending team with decent goaltending. 

What would it take to suggest it? Granted the return would likely not be that high, but might grow a little higher if we're swallowing $1.75m.

Just wondering, but Alexander Holtz isn't lighting the world on fire. I wonder if he could be available?

Edited by mnfaninnc