Hockey Wilderness

Article: How Much Have Injuries Cost the Wild This Season?

Wait, in the Dumba reunion article you had Goose at -0.8 SPAR, which means by him being out on LTIR gained us like +0.17 SPAR?

Am I doing this right?  Or does SPAR not tell the whole story? 

Like what kind of impact has the line blender, or playing a man down to get an emergency callup impact players?  What kind of impact are we going to see later in the season by having Faber skating 30+ minutes?

What about our aging guys?  Bogosian, Maroon, a 50 year old Fleury?  What kind of impact are we going to see later this season asking them to play elevated minutes and roles this early in the season?

What's the scariest part of this season, is that we are in for the same crap next season as there's not much room in cap relief until 25-26 season...but then again, if we're expecting to keep Rossi and Faber a significant chunk of that $14M dead cap that rolls off is going to be spoken for.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MrCheatachu said:

Wait, in the Dumba reunion article you had Goose at -0.8 SPAR, which means by him being out on LTIR gained us like +0.17 SPAR?

Like what kind of impact has the line blender, or playing a man down to get an emergency callup impact players?  What kind of impact are we going to see later in the season by having Faber skating 30+ minutes?

He's improved to 0.0 SPAR, or exactly replacement level. It's been 18 games for him, so it's a fairly small sample and things can fluctuate quickly.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Verified Member

Throw whatever hypothetical metrics you want out there.  Actual results show they played some of their worst hockey at their healthiest, and some of their best missing Spurgeon, Brodin, Zuccarello, etc.

SPAR is a nice tool to use predictively. Maybe not so much to analyze the actual results.

• Like 2

Hockey Wilderness Contributor
3 hours ago, MrCheatachu said:

When you lose Goligoski, you have to replace him with a player that the organization considers worse. So, while SPAR assumes you're replacing the injured player with somebody off of waivers or in the AHL who's a "replacement level player," the injuries all coming as a bunch compounds the issue. 

For example, without Spurgeon and Brodin, the bottom pair has zero NHL players on it (by definition). 

• Like 1

Hockey Wilderness Contributor
1 hour ago, Beast said:

Throw whatever hypothetical metrics you want out there.  Actual results show they played some of their worst hockey at their healthiest, and some of their best missing Spurgeon, Brodin, Zuccarello, etc.

SPAR is a nice tool to use predictively. Maybe not so much to analyze the actual results.

You can make this point in a small sample all day, but if it doesn't make intuitive sense it's probably not a strong argument. The coaching change is the single variable that has made the largest difference this year (for whatever underlying reasons). 

SPAR can't account for who's coaching, so that's where you've got to blend analytics with your own brain. I would assume that's why Tony used their 2022-23 SPAR to project what they've lost due to health. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, B1GKappa97 said:

Lotto pick here we come! 

Probably for the best for our blue line's long-term viability anyway. 

And just in time for a draft that DOESN'T have a generational talent at the top. Perfect.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, FredJohnson said:

And just in time for a draft that DOESN'T have a generational talent at the top. Perfect.

Meh. Wake me up with Connor McDavid wins the Stanley Cup 😛

A top-10 pick will either get us a top-6 C/W with size (like Cayden Lindstrom!) or a top-4 defenseman with size (like Carter Yakemchuk!)

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, B1GKappa97 said:

A top-10 pick will either get us a top-6 C/W with size (like Cayden Lindstrom!) or a top-4 defenseman with size (like Carter Yakemchuk!)

I was under the impression that this draft had a lot of defensive depth and defenders with size. I hope Shooter pays attention and selects a large bodied RHS defender with a blistering shot. We could use one of those! 

In case anyone wants to keep score, Lambos, Peart, O'Rourke, Hunt are all left handed. Spacek and Masters are righties. I believe in Spacek, but both he and Masters are having a tough transition time in the A. 

Someone in the Parayko class doesn't exist in our prospect class. And, we could use a guy like that.

• Like 1

While this is a fun exercise, I don't think it tells the full story. With the injuries, I think we have had plenty of games where we came up empty. Remember, we're playing with a limited deck, so injuries to us is magnified due to the cap restrictions. 

In other words, we're already down to decent SPAR players for the whole season, this year and next.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, mnfaninnc said:

I was under the impression that this draft had a lot of defensive depth and defenders with size. I hope Shooter pays attention and selects a large bodied RHS defender with a blistering shot. We could use one of those! 

It is for sure. In Pronman's initial prospect ranking, he has an even split between Defensemen and Forwards in the top-16 which is pretty rare. 

And I get our need for a defenseman.. but if Lindstrom is there, well, we also really need a physical/competitive 6'3'' 215lb C/W who is great at finishing plays in the top-6 too. 

I mean if he panned out as a top-6 Center, possibly even top-line, we could put Ek back down at 3C and have the sort of center depth this team has lacked since ever. 

Edited by B1GKappa97
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

Or is he staying below the surface in radio silence?

He’s in circle the wagons damage control mode.  And he should stay there and let this dumpster fire season run its course without any more distractions from off ice staff

I’ll assume he understands that and doesn’t commit any more unforced errors

• Like 1

23 hours ago, viper3119 said:

Only long term IR gives cap relief and some emergency cap relief, so not much.

Which means Brodin's is. If needed, we can probably put Zuccarello on LTIR retroactively to give us a little more.

1 hour ago, mnfaninnc said:

If needed, we can probably put Zuccarello on LTIR retroactively to give us a little more.

Except he's now skating and will return soon so we would only get the little extra money for maybe a couple games.

18 hours ago, viper3119 said:

Except he's now skating and will return soon so we would only get the little extra money for maybe a couple games.

If you did it retroactively, wouldn't you get a little more? Mr. Cheatchu?