Hockey Wilderness

Article: The Wild’s Hot Streak Is More Than Just A New-Coach Bump

Justin Wiggins

Isn't it interesting that Hynes has found correct roles for the players on this team. Perhaps this is the way that Guerin was thinking when he constructed the roster? I think Evason lost track of that the closer he got to his expiration date. 

When a coach identifies what a player does well and sticks him in that role, a player's confidence grows. Why? Because he does that well! And when he does well he gets more confident in what he's doing. 

This looks like a very confident team right now. 

One other thing I've noticed: Hynes has been known as an offensive killer. Yet, it seems like we're getting a lot more breakaways under his reign. Does anyone else notice this?

Also, note to Marco Rossi- you're taking your breakaways in too tight and eliminating your angles. Shoot from a little farther out. Zucker had the same issue.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pewterschmidt said:

Another WJC of meh for Ohgren on the scoresheet.  

Ohgren has 1 assist in 3 games. Yet, he's got 13 shots on goal in that span. Looking at the shots leaders, he would be in the middle of the front page on the stat line. Is he just snakebit, or is there something else? 

I haven't been able to see him with the eye test yet.

Kumpulainen didn't look terrible in the game I saw vs. Canada. He didn't look great either, just kind of meh. He did make a couple of nice passes that amounted to nothing, though. I haven't gotten a chance to see Petrovsky. 

I watched the Sweden - Canada game, thought Ohgren had a good game in Sweden’s 2-0 win. He almost scored on a tap in and almost had a nice assist on a tap in, both stopped by great saves. Yeah, he doesn’t look like the best player on the ice, but he is ours and we will see how he melds when he gets here. It sounds like he will be here for sure next year, if it means a year in Iowa so be it.  

3 hours ago, Pewterschmidt said:

can watch goals & highlights from all the games.  Ohgren is going to be Charlie Coyle 2.0

Petrovsky is the player that has consistently driven offense in this tourney (over the years)

I am excited about Petrovsky. I remember listening to NHL Radio when we drafted him, one announcer said he was the steal of the draft and loved the pick, couldn't believe he was still there. They also loved the Spacek pick!

Would a Charlie Coyle 2.0 be all that bad? So Ohgren is a 3rd line player? You need 3rd line players! He was the safe pick so we could swing for Yurov. If both make the roster, we win regardless of the role Ohgren plays. There is a possibility of an Ohgren-Stramel-Kumpulainen 3rd line that sounds pretty mean.

Could we have gotten more out of Coyle if we'd just been happy sticking him as 3rd line C? Well, we had that in Haula too, and a Niederreiter-Haula-Coyle 3rd line would have been a pretty good line.

As for today's game, the Jets were ready, the Wild were not. I'd expect a far more spirited game from the Wild tomorrow afternoon. 

Goose2 left with LBI after 2. Is this the time for The Wall to debut?

Kaprizov left early too, my bet is that the crosscheck that landed started to stiffen up. I hope he can go, but losing 2 guys like that is big. In my book, you just run through the team tomorrow leaving tons of carnage. 

I wouldn't mind a nice '80s afternoon! Also, if I'm Ehlers, I'd make sure my head was up all game long.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mnfaninnc said:

and I forgot to mention I hated the Goligoski/Spurgeon pair. Goligoski and Bogosian were a decent pair together. Could it be time for Hunt to get paired with Spurgeon for a bit?

Goligoski was horrible after being relatively decent for the last couple games.  Spurg looked rusty too.

• Like 1

Anyone hearing anything on Kaprizov and Goose2? 

I think Hynes got some bad information on pairing Goligoski and Spurgeon together. Goligoski needs a large body next to him, and I think that's why he and Bogosian were a decent pair. 

Could Daemon Hunt draw in and play next to Spurgy? That might be a decent combination. 

If it were me, I'd be scratching Merrill who wasn't good, drawing in Hunt or even Mermis, and putting Goligoski/Bogosian on the 3rd pair. If Kaprizov is out, I sure hope they can bring up a replacement and don't try the idiotic 11/7.

This should be an absolute smashmouth game, and if it isn't I will be hugely disappointed. We definitely need Crazy Eyes to show up!

• Like 1