Hockey Wilderness

Article: Does A Matt Dumba Reunion Make Sense For the Wild?

Tony Abbott

I think Billy would move mountains for Dumba, and I think Dumba would come back here and play with a passion, but considering our injury situation making it impossible for us to accumulate cap, I really don't see this one happening via trade this season.

The first is that Dumba makes $3.9 million this season. Suppose the Wild want to acquire him. They'd not only have to have the Coyotes retain half his salary, but Minnesota would have to route Dumba through a third team to launder another quarter of his salary. The Wild would not only have to pay a third team an asset to launder Dumba, but that's a tough maneuver to execute without a dedicated 'cap guy' in the front office.

Also, this season it appears the 'yotes might be a playoff team who could be battling for the wild for the final spot.  Tomahawk Billy has pointed out at the TDL that not moving out rentals is equivalent to moving out rentals.  The 'yotes would be dumb to improve a team that they're competing with unless it improved their team more.

But yeah...I feel like they still owe us for that Hanzal trade

Edited by MrCheatachu
  • Like 4

There are several roadblocks in the way. The first is that Dumba makes $3.9 million this season. Suppose the Wild want to acquire him. They'd not only have to have the Coyotes retain half his salary, but Minnesota would have to route Dumba through a third team to launder another quarter of his salary.

77X.gif

Ahhh hard pass on Dumba go find a cheap rental if that’s the case. This team does not need to give up prospects for a one year rental….faber, spurg, brodin, are absolutely elite defenders when healthy. If you think finding a rental to bridge this injury gap is important that’s fine but a 3.9 mil guy??… while giving up multiple assets to at least 2 different teams does not make sense for 10-12 mins a night. There are cheap bogo type rentals you can find we are not in any position record wise to gamble the future prospects for a chance at possibly missing playoffs anyway.

• Like 2

Mermis and Hunt cost $3 mil less than Dumba and are already on the roster.  There's no solution for "everyone got injured, so fuck it," but this team just has to deal with the consequences of people like Evander Kane taking liberties and Spurgeon finally getting caught with the injury bug.

After the last few games, I highly doubt Guerin wants Goligoski out there by choice.  As soon as Brodin and Spurgeon come back, he's sitting in the press box.  

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Outskated said:

Get AZ to eat half and find that 3rd team to eat up the rest for a very late round pick.  

If you could get Goligoski to waive his NMC(possibly retiring rather than reporting), then you could trade a prospect/pick with him and AZ would only need to retain half of Dumba's salary without involving a 3rd team.

I understand that's unlikely, but Goligoski has to know the end is near.

9 minutes ago, Imyourhuckleberry said:

If you could get Goligoski to waive his NMC(possibly retiring rather than reporting), then you could trade a prospect/pick with him and AZ would only need to retain half of Dumba's salary without involving a 3rd team.

I'm sure the 'yotes are salivating at the prospect of upgrading from Dumba to Goose.  That trade makes no sense from the Coyotes perspective, or a Goose perspective.

Is Suter available?  He seems to have endured himself to dallas.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Imyourhuckleberry said:

If Goligoski is a true team player than he would fall on his sword or hockey stick and go on LTIR.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Pewterschmidt said:

Bring Dumba back?  WTF?

Well, off the 2009 Penguins roster Billy's already got Goligoski, if Sergei Gonchar or Brooks Orphik aren't available for a multi-year multi-million contract, I could see him being tempted to the siren call of Dumba, his star pupil.

I haven't paid attention to Dumba in AZ.  Does he really look that bad or is it a system that he doesn't fit in?  Anyone know?  Players level of play falls off at some point in age.  I liked Dumba in MN.  If his level of play dipped, I can't see wanting him back (his NHL window may be closing/gone). 

If he does come back where does he slot?  No way do I place Dumba over Spurge, Mid, Brodin or Faber.... That sticks him on 3rd D pairing... he better expect pay/toi as a 3rd D pairing.  What happens to our Prospects?   I would prefer to see young prospects playing up on the 3rd pairing very soon.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MrCheatachu said:

I'm sure the 'yotes are salivating at the prospect of upgrading from Dumba to Goose.  That trade makes no sense from the Coyotes perspective, or a Goose perspective.

Cannot argue with that. It would be the prospect/pick combination that might get Arizona interested, but given they are in the playoff hunt right now, I cannot see them getting rid of a top 4 defenseman who sees lots of PK minutes. If they fall off badly before the trade deadline, I could maybe see something happening.

Arizona has several former Wild organization players with Bjugstad, Dumba, McBain, and Zucker. Guerin might be better off just waiting until the offseason and seeing if Dumba will sign back with the Wild closer to the $2.5-3M range.

• Like 1

Can Dumba still shoot the puck? Based upon last season, it seems that option is gone because of injury. That's what made him a good defender, he had offense. If we're obtaining Dumba due to his defense, that's a bad plan.

I'd far rather have Seeler back. 

1. It's the left side 3rd pair we need help for
  2. He's another big, rugged player for the 3rd pair.
  3. He's tough to play against

He was let go not because we didn't like him, but because there just wasn't a slot for him here when Soucy overtook him on the depth chart. He always showed up to play and was not a liability. Yet, he was offensively challenged. He and Bogo on the 3rd pair would be similar to Cole-Soucy we had, a very good PK pair, and a pair that could handle the defense for a few minutes a game. Seeler's cheap (cap) too. 

Would Seeler's game be better than Mermis or Hunt? To me, Seeler is good enough to play 7th D and can spell Goligoski. However, while our guys are maturing in the A, Seeler would be a nice teammate to have.

• Like 1