Hockey Wilderness

Article: It's Time to Talk About Marcus Johansson

Luke Sims

JoJo has never been a goal scorer. He’s a playmaker and thrives when he has goal-scorers to play with.

Johansson is not a playmaker in my mind. He's fast, but he typically is not crafty with the puck. He doesn't routinely create high danger chances. I imagine he has a lot of 2nd assists in his career from making simple passes to playmakers, like Addison when he was playing on the Wild's top PP unit.

• Like 4

Mojo screams "I'm here to plug holes until next year."  I think the fact he shined so much with Boldy still doesn't say, "I'm going to take spots from anyone else,"  That's the nature of how these buyouts have been working.  I fully expect Mojo to have his spot taken up by Ohgren either right after training camp or midway through next season.

There's no shame in that; it's just the reality of a player who probably knows he's benefitted a lot from playing with better people.

• Like 2

Mojo seized the opportunity with Boldy last season while playing for his nhl life.  Caught lightning in a bottle and convinced Benito Guerin that he’d found the key to unlocking Boldy s potential.  Fast forward to this season and mojo reverts back to the player we all loved to hate during his first audition with the Wild.  While the contract aav and term are not criminal, mojo’s mojo is the definition of beta, not alpha.   I predict Hynes makes him a healthy scratch if for no other reason to send a message to rest of team that if your out there every night just doing cardio and bringing nothing else, we’ll audition the kids.  
top six line mates & minutes (power play time) and 1 goal in 27 games.   Jesus Christ dude.  At least Fred looks like he wants to be there.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Pewterschmidt said:

Mojo seized the opportunity with Boldy last season while playing for his nhl life.  Caught lightning in a bottle and convinced Benito Guerin that he’d found the key to unlocking Boldy s potential.  Fast forward to this season and mojo reverts back to the player we all loved to hate during his first audition with the Wild.  While the contract aav and term are not criminal, mojo’s mojo is the definition of beta, not alpha.   I predict Hynes makes him a healthy scratch if for no other reason to send a message to rest of team that if your out there every night just doing cardio and bringing nothing else, we’ll audition the kids.  
top six line mates & minutes (power play time) and 1 goal in 27 games.   Jesus Christ dude.  At least Fred looks like he wants to be there.  

At this point i would plat Vinnie L.

• Like 2

He is a great skater.  That's it.  He rarely wins puck battles in the corner.  He is supposed to cover the D-man when in the D-zone and he gets beat to the puck every time it comes his way.  No reflexes.  2nd to the puck.  He reminds me of Rask where the puck is constantly going right through his feet and he can't get his stick on it.  I'm not even sure he sees it half the time.  He rarely goes to the net... and when he does it is usually to skate right by and leave again.  He loses the puck way too often...especially on zone entry on the power play. 

I think what bothers me most about MoJo is that he has skill and if he was willing to dig deep down on the effort meter he could be so much more. Best word for him...  Underachiever.    at least that is my take.

• Like 4