Hockey Wilderness

Article: The Kevin Fiala Trade Was Start of Dean Evason's Downfall

Tony Abbott

Lemme try...

"It doesn't make sense for Guerin to say Dumba is a hell of a player and he's not trading him for a wing who had half a season hot streak." What was being offered for Dumba and his bloated, expiring contract? We don't know the facts.

"It doesn't make sense to jettison Fiala off the club because you'd have to reshuffle 3 or 4 other guys." Yes it does. See what was done for the Vegas expansion draft of how to keep one guy and get worse.

"It doesn't make sense that you could have bridged Boldy instead of signing him longterm." Was Boldy willing? We don't know that fact.

"It also doesn't make sense that the Wild had to take Fiala to arbitration when it's usually the other way around" Quick research I did seemed like about 10% of NHL arbitration is team initiated.

"and doesn't make sense that Guerin didn't want to sign him longterm." Kevin hadn't broken out yet. Why extend an underperforming player?

"like Faber instead of another prospect" Faber was a prospect at the time. He was playing for U of Minnesota. He was literally a prospect.

You might be right about the rest but it's all opinion.

Edited by FredJohnson

On 12/7/2023 at 2:43 PM, FredJohnson said:

You might be right about the rest but it's all opinion.

You're right about that, it is just opinion and gut feeling, but it is also the most plausible/logical path to what happened. I have no evidence to support this, and likely no evidence will ever come out unless Fiala, himself, opens up about it. 

GMs are not supposed to take the easy way out, so not reshuffling 3 or 4 guys to keep Fiala, especially after the season he had, would be a GM not doing his job. I don't believe that Guerin doesn't do his job. And, at the time of the Vegas expansion draft, I roasted Fletcher for his obvious mistake. Not to reopen a can of worms but you simply do not jettison an ELC which is untouchable, and an undervalued center who was cheap when you already knew you were jettisoning Pominville for not waiving his NMC. Fletcher panicked and it was painful to watch. But, this is not Guerin. 

I'm not saying that all of Guerin's moves have been great, by the way. I have never typed the IBGIT acronym in my comments. Some of his moves, to me, seem a little bit strange, but they typically work out. In this case, to me, we got an rhs D with a little size who was someone we didn't have in the organization. He is showing us on a nightly basis how good he is and how much better he can get. Fiala hasn't stepped off the gas. If Ohgren can come back from injury and if Yurov is as good as advertised, I have to call this a huge WIN-WIN for both sides. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mnfaninnc said:

Some of his moves, to me, seem a little bit strange, but they typically work out.

The Freddie and Foligno contracts are terrible...not catastrophic, but terrible. I have no idea why Merrill got his contract and I'm even MORE confused by him still being on the roster!

Edited by FredJohnson
Corrected paste

6 hours ago, FredJohnson said:

The Freddie and Foligno contracts are terrible...not catastrophic, but terrible. I have no idea why Merrill got his contract and I'm even MORE confused by him still being on the roster!

I don't mind Freddie, his was very manageable, just a lot of time. I don't mind Foligno either, IMO that was the one to resign even though Foligno history suggests a very soon age of cliff diving. Zuccarello and Hartman were the ones I had a problem with.

I also have had a problem with Fleury and Goligoski. 35+ players need, absolutely NEED to be resigned on a yearly basis. It was just term, and at least they were signed within the parameters that if they retired prior to the season, their contracts were taken off the cap. Zuccarello should have been the same way. I'd have probably been unhappy with 1 X $4.2m, but am downright upset about 2 years. Hartman, once Foligno was signed was, IMO, not necessary. I like his game and I like his effort, but I think his slot could have been more efficiently filled with Yurov or Dino. But, Hartman did earn a raise and did show loyalty, that usually is a 2 way street and not missed by other vets on other teams.

Merrill can be sent down and it would open up enough space for Lambos to come up. However, just looking at his stat line, it seems like he has struggled, maybe he's playing better now? Lambos would be a terrible choice for #7, but if that were Goose1, and they played both Hunt and Lambos, I could be ok with the growing pains. I'd definitely pair Lambos up with Faber while Jimmy's out.

51 minutes ago, mnfaninnc said:

while Jimmy's out.

I'm still seething over that boarding no call on Kane.  WTF?

With Brodin out, we may need both Lambos and Hunt.  Goligoski is done.  Merrill is looking like he has one foot out the door.  Mermis definitely has earned it.  I just hope Bogo is ready tomorrow.