Hockey Wilderness

Article: Can Filip Gustavsson Triumph Over His Own Defense?

Brevan Bane

Any goalie, to have solid numbers, needs a strong defense in front of him. Goose2 doesn't have that right now, and it's showing. I don't mind the shots against, it's being outplayed in the HDSCs area that has me very concerned. 

To me, this is the most important line in the article:

Their poor shot differential also amplifies the difference in their high-danger opportunities. Minnesota has only created 62 total high-danger chances while surrendering 78 to their opponents. 

I also think this narrative changed last game with Edmonton as especially line 1 was all over the HDSC area. Good things happen when you shoot from home plate. Obviously, Spurgeon helps in this area as he pushes play into the HDSC. But, we can't rely on just 1 defender to do that. 

This is where the bottom pair has to come in. I'd be interested to know how much impact Addison has in these numbers? Addison would be our 3rd pairing RD, and if he moved back to that position, theoretically, we should be far stronger getting into those areas. 

Merrill, however, appears to be dressing up as a boat anchor for halloween. I'd much prefer to see Hunt or Lambos in that position, but Lambos needs some seasoning first. It was mentioned that Merrill needs to pass waivers to get to Iowa so it's a bit more complicated. No, it isn't. If someone picks up Merrill along the way, that's a bonus for us (while it's only about $50k). I am certain we can backfill our 6D position with a more capable player if needed. Let's see what Hunt can do!

We're currently 3rd in the division. Playoff invitations are not won in October or November, but they can be lost. At 3-2-1, without Spurgeon throughout the 6 games, we have bought ourselves some time to tinker. Tonight would be a good time to try and tinker. With Spurgeon on LTIR now, Hunt can fit into the mix. 

So, looking at the standings, I did not expect to see Boston starting 6-0. More shocking was Boston's GA, firmly in the lead at 7. Nobody else is in single digits, Dallas being the closest at 11 with 1 less game played. You don't need a lot of offense if your opponent's only getting 1 a night!

Also, something to keep a watch on, Pittsburgh and Washington are placing 8 and 7 respectively in their division. I'm on Mike Sullivan watch assuming that this would be a guy on Guerin's short list to replace Evason should the opportunity arise. Evason is inherited, and Guerin dismissed Boudreau in the middle of a playoff hunt. Anyone else have any other suggestions on who Guerin might have a connection with and would consider bringing in?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mnfaninnc said:

I'm on Mike Sullivan watch assuming that this would be a guy on Guerin's short list to replace Evason should the opportunity arise.

I think Sullivan would be a pretty good get. He is being hamstrung right now by roster construction. The Pens have decide to hang on to their aging stars and ring as much value out of them as possible. Their salaries are preventing addition of new and quality players. It would be nice if BG recognizes this but then, he came from that organization.

• Like 2