Hockey Wilderness

Article: The Wild Have Silenced Early-Season Narratives This Year

Luke Sims

11 hours ago, Imyourhuckleberry said:

That makes sense. Although I read that Spurgeon isn't even skating yet, so maybe it could have made sense to place him on LTIR for his upper body injury. The Wild could exceed the cap then. Hopefully none of them are serious injuries.

This would be the best way to bring up some youth. We could surely fit in 3 contracts or more for some banged up IR guys.

What was the difference between the defense and goalie in these 2 games? I think it's fair to compare them. To me, while a lot of the FL chances were classified as HDSCs, they weren't really, Goose2 was on his angles and pretty much had those shots locked down. In Toronto, those HDSCs were of much higher quality and on several Goose2 had no chance, and on many more Goose2 had no business making the stop. 

Problem 1 is we have 2 pylons disguised as NHL defenders, and a 3rd who is still "learning" how to defend. They got skated around pretty badly, and 1 in particular was caught having to move out of position and didn't do it well. Iowa (used to be Houston), we've got a problem!

While Goligoski was adequate in game 1, his lack of speed was very evident in game 2. Russo didn't say, but it looked to me after he lost the puck along the end boards and Mathews swooped in for the wrap around that Goligoski got benched, and he should have been. Addison, at least got in the way a few times. Merrill couldn't skate with either team. This is not us being just a Spurgeon away from fixing things.

It's time to grow up. When we get back home, my suggestion would be putting Merrill on waivers to report to Iowa. Bring up Lambos for that spot. There might even be enough room to bring up Hunt to replace Goligoski. Spurgeon should be put on LTIR to afford heading over the cap. We've got some banged up forwards, and it looked like Foligno took some hand damage in the fight against Reaves on top of what's already hurt. Let's get some youth infused in this thing right now!

On 10/14/2023 at 11:21 AM, Paul Bunyan is Real said:

Not sure why everyone is ripping on MOJO? He was a full participant in practice yesterday according to Evason. 

Running joke since forever about Wild guys getting a deal and coasting combined with Mojo's first go-round here a couple years ago. Let's just say the opinions here leaned neutral to poor range. Getting hurt, not being impressive was where it left off. 

If he can come back and get his mojo goin playing most of the games and looking durable, that would be a starting point. 

I see Zane McIntyre gave up 6 goals on 15 shots his lone AHL game.

Not a great start for Iowa, but Khaira has 2 assists and is +1, which stands out for that team so far. I wouldn't be surprised to see him soon with the MN Wild.

The -4 for Daemon Hunt also stands out, but I don't expect to see him soon in MN. Lambos(1 assist) is the only Iowa player at +2 or better through 2 games.

30 minutes ago, Protec said:

Running joke since forever about Wild guys getting a deal and coasting combined with Mojo's first go-round here a couple years ago. Let's just say the opinions here leaned neutral to poor range. Getting hurt, not being impressive was where it left off. 

If he can come back and get his mojo goin playing most of the games and looking durable, that would be a starting point. 

Don’t forget about # times/game he has to pick his stick up off the ice.  I only counted once against TOR (drink!).  I did notice a TOR defender with an aggressive stick lift on mojo away from the play so I think the league is aware of this aspect of mojo’s game. 

On 10/14/2023 at 10:21 AM, Paul Bunyan is Real said:

Not sure why everyone is ripping on MOJO? He was a full participant in practice yesterday according to Evason.

I gave him credit for playing well last season, at least through the first few playoff games. He was overpaid his prior stint in MN, as well as mistake prone, but he was alright last year.

I was surprised to see him return so soon given how quickly he left down the tunnel in game 1. My biggest issue with Mojo is I think he has really poor defensive instincts. He also tends to play a very soft game(does not make it difficult for opponents to play against him), but he did display some solid chemistry with Boldy for a period of time last year.

Hopefully that line can stay healthy and get that chemistry going again.

Memo to HW.com management committee. Can we start every Monday morning with a fresh thread.  No need to even write a fresh article. Title it ‘musings from the weekend’

ive got all this comment Gold from TOR game that I don’t want to put as comment #257 of game thread or bury on a comment board from week ago article

my Monday morning workday thanks you in advance

Edited by Pewterschmidt
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Imyourhuckleberry said:

I gave him credit for playing well last season, at least through the first few playoff games. He was overpaid his prior stint in MN, as well as mistake prone, but he was alright last year.

I was surprised to see him return so soon given how quickly he left down the tunnel in game 1. My biggest issue with Mojo is I think he has really poor defensive instincts. He also tends to play a very soft game(does not make it difficult for opponents to play against him), but he did display some solid chemistry with Boldy for a period of time last year.

Hopefully that line can stay healthy and get that chemistry going again.

Great take!  I agree 100% with this mojo assessment

2 hours ago, mnfaninnc said:

Don't they have to play short 1 game before they can call people up under an emergency? 

Yep, it would take 1 game with a roster under 20 (18 skaters, 2 goalies) players to warrant an emergency callup.  Currently just Spurgeon and Boldy are on IR, which gives them 18+2 with Mermis on the roster.

50.10e

Club has fewer than eighteen (18) skaters and two (2) goalies ("18 and 2") on its Playing Roster (pursuant to Section 16.4(c)); and (v) the Club played its previous game with fewer than 18 and 2 (a "Roster Emergency"), then such Club may, beginning with the second game and continuing with all subsequent games and without any charge to the Club's Averaged Club Salary for the duration of such Roster Emergency, add to its Playing Roster the requisite number of "emergency replacement" Player(s), provided, however, that (i) each such Player may not have an Averaged Amount that is more than the then-applicable Minimum Paragraph 1 NHL Salary plus $100,000 (e.g., $625,000 in 2012-13); and (ii) each such Player may only remain on that Club's Active Roster during the period of the "Roster Emergency."

Emergency callup allows you to call up one player for League Minimum + $100k = $875k.  

So, Walker ($855k) becomes eligible as an emergency callup, while Beckman ($894k) would not be eligible.