Hockey Wilderness

Article: Wilderness Walk: What Are The Remaining Roster Decisions?

Thomas Williams

So outside of the projected 12, it is Vinni Lettieri, Jujhar Khaira, Sammy Walker, and Nic Petan, all battling to be the Wild's 13th forward

They might be battling but unless the wild do something (SEND BOLDY DOWN) they make to much to be the 13th forward.

Wild Cap Space: $818k

Kharia: $775k

Lettieri: $775k

Petan: $762k 

Swaney: $775k

Fogarty: $762k

Walker: $855k 😭

Beckman: $894k 😭

Haight: $897k 😭

Hentges: $855k 😭

Bankier: $867k 😭

Milne: $861k 😭

To elaborate on why Boldy needs to be sent down to the AHL

Cap is calculated daily and accumulates: https://puckpedia.com/salary-cap/8-team-cap-hit-calculations-accrued-cap-space#:~:text=Cap space “accrues” over time,the remainder of the year.

Boldy is on a 1-way contract so being sent do the AHL on off days would not impact his checks.  Rossi/Brockli are on 2-way contracts so this plan would take money off their checks, I do not suggest stiffing the young guys as that would come back to bite you in the next contracts.  Boldy has 20 games this season where we could send him down (on off days, not missing games) to accumulate cap without having to put him through waivers. https://www.capfriendly.com/waivers-calculator/matthew-boldy

7 minutes ago, MrCheatachu said:

They might be battling but unless the wild do something (SEND BOLDY DOWN) they make to much to be the 13th forward.

Wild Cap Space: $818k

Kharia: $775k

Lettieri: $775k

Petan: $762k 

Swaney: $775k

Fogarty: $762k

Walker: $855k 😭

Beckman: $894k 😭

Haight: $897k 😭

Hentges: $855k 😭

Bankier: $867k 😭

Milne: $861k 😭

Mikey makes $861k per year.  Well I’ll be damned,  our boy is making it in the big city

Good to see Shaw getting some time to rehab. He was doing well last year. Glad the Wild are taking care of him hoping he can get back.

I think Khaira with size and experience is the guy. Walker and Lettierrii are the first call ups. Younger guys too, maybe trade pieces although I'd like to see Walker stay with MN. Khaira knows Chicago, big, and has been in the NHL for awhile. To me that seems like a good reason Guerin signed him to begin with. Walker was good last year too but not exactly dominant or automatic. Maybe this year but he'll need to show that.

• Like 1

I wouldn't be surprised if just 12 forwards start in the NHL.  They have options to replace the type of player that they lose if someone should miss time with injury.  If Rossi misses time, Petan could replace him.

If Johansson misses time, maybe they use Walker or Lettieri there.  If Duhaime or Maroon miss time, Kharia is likely filling in for them. I know Evason mentioned that he liked that they have options for different roles.

KK97, Zuccarello, Boldy, and JEE are all types that cannot really be replaced by a similar Iowa Wild player, but many of the other guys have roles that they can elevate someone from Iowa to fill.

In a pinch, they could probably use Goligoski or Addison as a 12th forward. Seems like they need to start the year with just 12 in order to open up some cap space to allow more freedom in the callups when they need them.