Hockey Wilderness

Article: Rossi Will Start Training Camp Still Looking For A Prime Opportunity

Tony Abbott

2 hours ago, TCMooch said:

Why the fuck would you not start a top 10 picked prospect on the first line and set him up to succeed? He is already defensively responsible.

Line balancing, line balancing, line balancing!

Maximize the ice for 60-65 minutes, not just 15-16 minutes of even strength play.

If Rossi cannot be a complete player centering 2 defensively responsible veterans, why should he be elevated to play with Kaprizov and Zuccarello, who face high level competition regularly and were scored against frequently last season, particularly when Hartman was out.

Until Rossi proves that he's a better defensive forward who also holds his position in front of the net more solidly than Hartman, he's not going to play there even strength this season.

Rossi will almost certainly be on one of the PP units. They aren't going to hold him back from performing. It's up to him to earn more through his play, not his draft position.

Losing teams prioritize minutes based upon draft positions, the Wild prioritize for performance.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TCMooch said:

I am not a fan of Evason as a coach. I think he stifles prospects and has no idea on how to develop them properly.

Why the fuck would you not start a top 10 picked prospect on the first line and set him up to succeed? He is already defensively responsible. This is an idiotic plan.

If Evason has a reputation for anything, it's developing players.

10 hours ago, TCMooch said:

I am not a fan of Evason as a coach. I think he stifles prospects and has no idea on how to develop them properly.

Why the fuck would you not start a top 10 picked prospect on the first line and set him up to succeed? He is already defensively responsible. This is an idiotic plan.

Agree on DE, but don't believe Rossi is the net front presence we need with KK and Zucci unless he pulls some Parise shit out of his breezers with his 15# of added weight. Only then, would I be excited for that match up.

2 hours ago, vonlonster67 said:

We've had this battle before, he develops his regulars...Freddy Hockey? Who else on this team has he developed?

Fiala. They told Rossi what he needed to do in the offseason and he did it. Seriously the list is endless. Dewar, Duhaime, Shaw are some of the young guys, they've all improved their games since coming up.

2 minutes ago, Willy the poor boy said:

Fiala. They told Rossi what he needed to do in the offseason and he did it. Seriously the list is endless. Dewar, Duhaime, Shaw are some of the young guys, they've all improved their games since coming up.

I guess the better question would be what is the definition of development based off draft position, talent, and history of their development. 

I'm not ready to give him all the credit. Its really a deeper question that I'd be curious to hear from a scout or NHL player on their insight because it's do multifaceted. 

I agree. I'm not saying it's ALL DE. but he sure as hell, IMO, puts them in positions to succeed. He was an AHL coach which would be a good definition of a developmental coach.

I think you once told me it was the players that put in the work to get better. That's 100% true, but that does not mean and is unlikely that happens w/o direction from the coach(es). 

On 9/21/2023 at 8:11 PM, Willy the poor boy said:

LOL Dean did nothing for Fiala except piss him off. Fiala had gamebreaking talent and DE refused to put him with someone decent until Boldy came up, Held him to a double standard and sent Fiala running for LA at the soonest chance possible. I understand he would have left anyway due to cap constraint but it sure seemed like he was champing at the bit to get out of Minn. 

I have trouble believing DE helped his development at all. He has flourished in LA where they don't expect him to be something he is not, a 2 way winger. Instead they give him the tools to maximize his scoring and take the good with the bad. Even Fiala made a couple comments to LA media after the fact that sounded like the relationship was sour there.

Dewar, Shaw and Duhaime are all prototypical DE guys. Gritty, 2 way players that are extremely responsible on the defensive side. They also are all replaceable bottom 6 guys. We have yet to see him develop a skill player that wasn't already a huge talent, ready for the NHL

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TheGoosesAreLooses said:

LOL Dean did nothing for Fiala except piss him off. Fiala had gamebreaking talent and DE refused to put him with someone decent until Boldy came up, Held him to a double standard and sent Fiala running for LA at the soonest chance possible. I understand he would have left anyway due to cap constraint but it sure seemed like he was champing at the bit to get out of Minn. 

I have trouble believing DE helped his development at all. He has flourished in LA where they don't expect him to be something he is not, a 2 way winger. Instead they give him the tools to maximize his scoring and take the good with the bad. Even Fiala made a couple comments to LA media after the fact that sounded like the relationship was sour there.

Dewar, Shaw and Duhaime are all prototypical DE guys. Gritty, 2 way players that are extremely responsible on the defensive side. They also are all replaceable bottom 6 guys. We have yet to see him develop a skill player that wasn't already a huge talent, ready for the NHL

That's the Goose I know! 😎

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, TheGoosesAreLooses said:

DE coached Fiala in the AHL in Nashville, and when he got here to MN. No player develops without putting in the work, and I would imagine few develop without the correct coaching. It's easy to say DE didn't help him along but it's also unlikely. Let go of the anger, Deano is your friend and a great coach.

• Confused 1