Hockey Wilderness

Article: The Wild's Defense Could Surprise Us During Training Camp

Tony Abbott

52 minutes ago, vonlonster67 said:

No chance BG sends Boldy or Faber down, he would trade Merrill before he did that. Boldy is a young, soon to be star in the making and Faber is so far on the same path.  What would that say to them if they were told your going to go down to ride a bus in IA.

I'm thinking Addy and Merrill are in the crosshairs of a trade if the talent suggests they can get away with plugging in Goose with a prospect along the way and whoever is left over Addy/Merrill.

It's basically a paper transaction...Montreal did it to Suzuki, vegas did it to the nic's

Boldy is waivers exempt, an the cap is accumulated daily, send him down prior to 5PM and immediately call him back up and it will allow the team to accumulate $6k of cap space.  Boldy is on a 1-way contract, so it really wouldnt matter to him in regards to what $$$ he gets.  Maybe the drawback is he misses out on the ability to use the NHL facilities during that day?

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, MrCheatachu said:

It's basically a paper transaction...Montreal did it to Suzuki, vegas did it to the nic's

Boldy is waivers exempt, an the cap is accumulated daily, send him down prior to 5PM and immediately call him back up and it will allow the team to accumulate $6k of cap space.  Boldy is on a 1-way contract, so it really wouldnt matter to him in regards to what $$$ he gets.  Maybe the drawback is he misses out on the ability to use the NHL facilities during that day?

I'd be in as long as he wouldn't have to miss a game (per rules) as he definitely has a major impact on our team. I'm also not familiar with how that works, so will have to do some research as you have peaked my interests.

Edited by vonlonster67
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, vonlonster67 said:

I'd be in as long as he wouldn't have to miss a game (per rules) as he definitely has a major impact on our team. I'm also not familiar with how that works, so will have to do some research as you have peaked my interests.

CapFriendly has a great calculator:

https://www.capfriendly.com/waivers-calculator/matthew-boldy#results

Boldy looses this status after he plays his 20th game this season.  It's also not the full salary, it's only the amount the CBA allows to be buried in the AHL prorated by days.

He would be restricted from using the NHL-club facilities, attending NHL-club meetings and be required to 'Report the the AHL club in a reasonable time.'  But yeah, you can bank that against the cap to be used at the TDL. october: https://www.nhl.com/wild/schedule/2023-10-01

You could do the same for Faber & Addison, but Faber is on a 1 way contract so he looses out on actual money (his AHL rate is $80k/season vs. NHL rate of $832k) meaning each day you send down Faber he (out of his pocket) loses out on roughly $4000/day you do that to him.  While you can do that to two-way players, it's a pretty shitty thing to do.  With how much BillyG wants to take care of the room, dinging guys like that doesnt seem like a route he'd take.

• Thanks 2

33 minutes ago, MrCheatachu said:

CapFriendly has a great calculator:

https://www.capfriendly.com/waivers-calculator/matthew-boldy#results

Boldy looses this status after he plays his 20th game this season.  It's also not the full salary, it's only the amount the CBA allows to be buried in the AHL prorated by days.

He would be restricted from using the NHL-club facilities, attending NHL-club meetings and be required to 'Report the the AHL club in a reasonable time.'  But yeah, you can bank that against the cap to be used at the TDL. october: https://www.nhl.com/wild/schedule/2023-10-01

You could do the same for Faber & Addison, but Faber is on a 1 way contract so he looses out on actual money (his AHL rate is $80k/season vs. NHL rate of $832k) meaning each day you send down Faber he (out of his pocket) loses out on roughly $4000/day you do that to him.  While you can do that to two-way players, it's a pretty shitty thing to do.  With how much BillyG wants to take care of the room, dinging guys like that doesnt seem like a route he'd take.

All great info, never used cap friendly for in depth salary cap stuff before. What an awesome resource and beyond! Be interesting to see a daily log of the season and how they navigate it this year if no trades are made.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, vonlonster67 said:

He's no where near 200lbs, still 6-1 180 and lanky. He plays physical, but I wouldn't say he's making any more of an impact than others on the team.

His game simply won't translate to the next level at 180 and physical. I sure hope he comes in much bulkier.

4 hours ago, MrCheatachu said:

I'm curious if we're going to see the waivers exempt guys (Boldy/Rossi/Addison) get sent down more this season.  We (somehow) had cap room last season and didnt need to do that while still having space to take advantage at the TDL.

It would be a little sneaky, but with the days off from Sweden, could you send those guys down on paper and still have them traveling with you?

3 hours ago, vonlonster67 said:

I wanted to go back and see what his injuries were also and beyond the nagging injuries every player sustains day to day, his significant injuries that kept him out of games resulted in broken fingers each time. 

Maybe wearing thicker gloves is the answer

6 minutes ago, vonlonster67 said:

These guys all have personal chefs once they sign the big contract. :classic_tongue:

Well, maybe he invites the whole Baby Wild over for a nice meal? 

On your Bankier link, I saw they listed him at 6' 192. Google's got him listed at 6'2". I really wish we could get good measurement information on these guys.

24 minutes ago, mnfaninnc said:

Well, maybe he invites the whole Baby Wild over for a nice meal? 

On your Bankier link, I saw they listed him at 6' 192. Google's got him listed at 6'2". I really wish we could get good measurement information on these guys.

Looks like he's gonna have to gain 10 pounds to get in mnfaninnc standards 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mnfaninnc said:

His game simply won't translate to the next level at 180 and physical. I sure hope he comes in much bulkier.

On 9/11/2023 at 3:05 PM, vonlonster67 said:

O'Rourke had a tough year last year in IA and I believe he is still in the mix, but he'll need a prove it year in IA this year. The problem is he is running out of time and their are a lot of bodies there that could bury him in the progression to the big club.

Hunt will be the first of the prospects to come up and Mermis will more than likely get first shot to fill in. Lambos needs some seasoning, but may get a shot or two on call ups.

Spacek has a better chance at this point than O'Rourke and Masters was injured so he's starting three months behind everyone else.

The only place Faber is gonna be is beside Brodin.

O'Rourke didn't put up points in any quantity last year but was pretty sound defensively. Got lots of snarl to his but I agree with mnfaninnc that he will need more bulk for that to translate into the big leagues. He could still be a stalwart to have on the back end if continues to develop.

One of the lesser known names that was great for us in IA last year was Turner Ottenbreit, he came in on a PTO and ended up sticking around. I was surprised to see him head for the KHL with the success he was seeing in the A. I guess money talks.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, TheGoosesAreLooses said:

O'Rourke didn't put up points in any quantity last year but was pretty sound defensively. Got lots of snarl to his but I agree with mnfaninnc that he will need more bulk for that to translate into the big leagues. He could still be a stalwart to have on the back end if continues to develop.

One of the lesser known names that was great for us in IA last year was Turner Ottenbreit, he came in on a PTO and ended up sticking around. I was surprised to see him head for the KHL with the success he was seeing in the A. I guess money talks.

I did notice him last year Goose, but at 26 and no call ups to the big club, he saw the writing on the wall with the influx of talent and not getting offered a contract by the Wild.

The kid is huge and has some nasty, but suffers from the lack of speed and recovering to hang with anyone beyond the AHL. Wish him well on his KHL one year contract with Kunlun RS.

9 hours ago, mnfaninnc said:

I don't believe that we have any eligible guys in this category. The Euro guys might be, but we already have Ohgren signed and he's been loaned to the SHL. The Russians aren't signed yet. 

I believe the rule is that regardless of playing in the N or A, if you're 20, you're burning your ELC. I also think that The Wall burned a year last season as he turned 20 before the cutoff. 

Faber signing last season burned a year off his deal....but it may have been worth it! Back in '21 when the jr. players didn't have a league to play in, O'Rourke didn't burn a year because an exception was made. Hunt was the same way even though he only played like 9 games there. Beckman also got the same treatment. 

Thanks for calming me down. 🤪

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, mnfaninnc said:

Height 6.02 -- Weight 197, per HockeyDB, for Caedan Bankier. Hockey Reference also indicates 6'2", but they do have 192 pounds. I suspect HockeyDB is more accurate for guys who haven't yet hit the NHL.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, TheGoosesAreLooses said:

When Peart is done at St. Cloud State, he'll likely be joining the Iowa Wild as well, so they'll have a ton of talent there the next 2 seasons, barring trades.

Peart could jump ahead of Kyle Masters in the rotation. There's going to be a ton of competition to replace Merrill and maybe Addison in the next couple seasons.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Imyourhuckleberry said:

When Peart is done at St. Cloud State, he'll likely be joining the Iowa Wild as well, so they'll have a ton of talent there the next 2 seasons, barring trades.

Peart could jump ahead of Kyle Masters in the rotation. There's going to be a ton of competition to replace Merrill and maybe Addison in the next couple seasons.

Peart IS the forgotten man Huck! He is another whom I will get to watch this fall.  Can cheer him on as long as he is not playing the Gophers. He's that kid who sneaks up on ya, he did it last year for the Huskies and in World Juniors.

• Like 2