Hockey Wilderness

Article: Does Auston Matthews Set the Market For Kirill Kaprizov's Next Deal?

Tony Abbott

2 hours ago, Dango said:

Mn has a fan base that to often brings politics into their decisions on weather to support players when they reach star status so hopefully that doesnt happen here .  Before #97 can want to be here he has to be welcomed here .  

Dango, as you know, I am an out of market fan. What is your evidence to support this comment? I didn't think when I lived there that this was the way we looked at players. With all of the stars in MN, across all sports with the possible exception of the NBA, if the stars produced, I feel like they were accepted into the community just fine. However, it's been almost 40 years since I moved out. 

I always found politics to take a 2nd seat to production.....or maybe even further back!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dango said:

Im just looking at the future for when he has  bigger expectation being a mn icon  which usually comes with success and money etc .  Hopefully it all stays good and nothing sours it  .  

I know how #97 could endear himself to the Minnesota fans. Halloween coming up bud. The Russian Prince has a nice ring to it.

OIP.jpg.f9cc4311291df2e85ec6808f9a82e783.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Dango said:

Mn has a fan base that to often brings politics into their decisions on weather to support players when they reach star status so hopefully that doesnt happen here .  Before #97 can want to be here he has to be welcomed here .  

This comment has no bearing on the MN Wild or fans and not needed here

You have the right to your statement and opinion, but don't bring politics into this. This is one place WE can all be fans no matter how we live, believe or think outside this forum. 

Im not sure where your going with this. But its pretty offensive!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, vonlonster67 said:

You have the right to your statement and opinion, but don't bring politics into this. This is one place WE can all be fans no matter how we live, believe or think outside this forum. 

I don't mind after all politics are injected into everything. Sports leagues 100% promote popular agendas. By proxy our conversations cannot avoid getting a little mud on em when we're traveling a dirt path.

I don't see any issue especially since Reaves and Dumba dabbled in activism and the NHL aligns with certain social campaigns. Fans have their views leading to an intrinsic division. 

I presume Dango is referring to the anti-Russian sentiment in media related to the war with Ukraine. That question or suggestion of uncertainty has been mentioned on this site related to Wild prospects.

I mean, a stand alone post on Trump's mugshot would be inappropriate but if it's relevant to the Wild or players we shouldn't get too worked up.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, vonlonster67 said:

When i use politics i use that term in a broad sense "not really actual politics "    examples 

Chuck Knoblauch didnt sign an autograph  at an airport was run out of town,

David Ortis was lazy  ran out of town

Moss made a few bonehead moves  ran out of town

Cousins didnt do this  trying to run out of town

Ciccarelli did a dumb thing ran out of town

all minor things that were blown out of proportion so we got the political pitchforks out ,   

i dont mean democrat republican politics .   At work we use politics as a term for doing what pleases the masses .   It could be simple as wiping off your feet before entering a persons house to work on it  putting down a tarp etc.  giving a waitress a tip ,   Things that a large number of people will rally around .    i probably should used a better term  .

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Dango said:

When i use politics i use that term in a broad sense "not really actual politics "    examples 

all minor things that were blown out of proportion so we got the political pitchforks out ,   

i dont mean democrat republican politics .   At work we use politics as a term for doing what pleases the masses .   It could be simple as wiping off your feet before entering a persons house to work on it  putting down a tarp etc.  giving a waitress a tip ,   Things that a large number of people will rally around .    i probably should used a better term  .

I get it from your explanation and appreciate your reply.

That's called integrity, gratitude and morals! Enough said...Thx

2 hours ago, mnfaninnc said:

Dango, as you know, I am an out of market fan. What is your evidence to support this comment? I didn't think when I lived there that this was the way we looked at players. With all of the stars in MN, across all sports with the possible exception of the NBA, if the stars produced, I feel like they were accepted into the community just fine. However, it's been almost 40 years since I moved out. 

I always found politics to take a 2nd seat to production.....or maybe even further back!

What's uniquely interesting is how many stars in all of the sports get drafted here, traded here, move here with their families, and usually end up staying beyond their contracts and in their retirement lives.

Nothing has changed mnfaninnc..

42 minutes ago, Protec said:

I don't mind after all politics are injected into everything. Sports leagues 100% promote popular agendas. By proxy our conversations cannot avoid getting a little mud on em when we're traveling a dirt path.

I don't see any issue especially since Reaves and Dumba dabbled in activism and the NHL aligns with certain social campaigns. Fans have their views leading to an intrinsic division. 

I presume Dango is referring to the anti-Russian sentiment in media related to the war with Ukraine. That question or suggestion of uncertainty has been mentioned on this site related to Wild prospects.

I mean, a stand alone post on Trump's mugshot would be inappropriate but if it's relevant to the Wild or players we shouldn't get too worked up.

BUT, I've never seen it here in MN in regard to KK and it would be nice to JUST STICK TO HOCKEY.

I can see that on TV, hear it on the radio, and read it in the newspaper....don't need it to start up here.

THIS is ALL of OUR getaways from the daily $#%! that goes on. 

Lets enjoy it......:classic_cool:

I agree #97 has never shown any kind of affiliation for off-ice ideals which is a good thing for athletes. Some elect to become polarizing characters but Kaprizov is just a guy who shows up to play hockey. I've never seen anything different.

• Like 1

On 8/24/2023 at 1:08 PM, Cole_Train said:

Will KK want to stay in Minnesota? Money or not will be the multi million dollar question though. Players of his caliber will always get paid so will he value being here. Does he see a winning future here and can he properly market himself here? Many athletes like him make good side money with sponsors, endorsements and advertising. Does Minnesota offer those other intangibles? I sure as hell hope so. 

I don't see KK even interested in promoting really anything unless its for a cause, never money in his pocket. I think I've seen him promote maybe two things since he's been here and they were so trivial I don't even remember.

KK only cares about two primary things hockey and winning.

27 minutes ago, Dango said:

I got bamboozled by ads and wasn't able to follow all the comments in order. 

Randy Moss was one of the worst failures. He was so good. Can't say I blame him for that but the press and fans did jump on him despite Dante's Lake Minnetonka debauchery and plethora of fumbles. 

I agree with you that MN fans and media need to appreciate #97 and keep him around. His talent and character is not common but MN has indeed found ways to sour on formerly anointed saviors.

12 hours ago, vonlonster67 said:

He was born and raised in a outlying area in Russia. His family is very much off the main grid from suburban areas of Russia in Novokuznetsk. He and his brother are big outdoorsman and  family are far from big city. Where he grew up is much like Minnesota. 

He'll stay if he can win, location, his team and a fair contract are secondary. If you paid attention to his demeanor,  interaction with the media versus his teammates it pretty easy 

Panarin has a very similar story.

he was born in a very small town outside of Moscow.

a lot of these players who grew up in a small town have aspirations of getting away and playing on the biggest stage they can.

I think you’re assuming a lot here and judging what’s on the surface.

for all we know he’s graciously doing his time before he can get to one of the big cities and try to win a Cup.

If you look at it from an unbiased view, most people will say that the Wild don’t have a great chance of winning a Cup in the next 5 years.

We have a good prospect pool but don’t have any can’t miss, truly elite players, that you need to win a Cup.

I certainly don’t think it’s that easy to see.

we shall see what the future holds though.

7 hours ago, vonlonster67 said:

While I agree with you that bringing politics into sports and the comments discussion is definitely annoying and unnecessary, I don’t see a single thing offensive about what he said.

the word offensive seems to have lost its meaning and is thrown out way to much now a days in a lot of people’s opinion.

I'm glad he elaborated on his point because it was an interesting thing to think about even though a little random.

2 minutes ago, Mateo3xm said:

Panarin has a very similar story.

he was born in a very small town outside of Moscow.

a lot of these players who grew up in a small town have aspirations of getting away and playing on the biggest stage they can.

I think you’re assuming a lot here and judging what’s on the surface.

for all we know he’s graciously doing his time before he can get to one of the big cities and try to win a Cup.

If you look at it from an unbiased view, most people will say that the Wild don’t have a great chance of winning a Cup in the next 5 years.

We have a good prospect pool but don’t have any can’t miss, truly elite players, that you need to win a Cup.

I certainly don’t think it’s that easy to see.

we shall see what the future holds though.

Similar but different with Panarin, who now plays in New York and shuffled around the league in Chicago and Columbus. He was undrafted and never a prized player other than one good year coming out of Russia unlike KK.

If I was judging this from the surface I wouldn't have provided you the detail insight nor the attention to detail that following KK since his draft status and every year after.

He is who he is and there is no hidden agenda with him. He loves the game of hockey and keeps to himself and his teammates.

Do the Wild have a chance of winning a cup, we'll see, but the future couldn't be more planned as an organization since the start of the franchise in 1997. We've never had this kind of leadership or prospect pool.

KK isn't going anywhere but MN in three years. I guarantee it.

2 minutes ago, Mateo3xm said:

While I agree with you that bringing politics into sports and the comments discussion is definitely annoying and unnecessary, I don’t see a single thing offensive about what he said.

the word offensive seems to have lost its meaning and is thrown out way to much now a days in a lot of people’s opinion.

I'm glad he elaborated on his point because it was an interesting thing to think about even though a little random.

As I said, I just want to stick to hockey, dont you?

8 hours ago, Dango said:

i probably should used a better term  .

Yeah, that confused us all. I think the examples you gave are performance rated both on and off the field/ice. The community expects a lot from its highly paid athletes/heroes, especially the way they act in the community. 

This is what made Prosser such a valuable asset. He was a 7th D who never complained and always took time when it was needed in the community. I think we should uphold these players to very high standards and they should be exemplary in the community (not perfect, but excellent). We all have bad days, even the best of us.

But to call that politics, it's just not the right term. This seems to be more of a behavior thing, not a politics thing.

• Like 1