Hockey Wilderness

Article: Riley Heidt Is All Gas and No Brakes

Justin Hein

1 hour ago, mnfaninnc said:

He'll be in a good spot, by the time he's ready for the big club, we will be in the hunt for Cups. I'm also thinking it's better than basically a 3rd round pick, it's a free swing that came from the Greenway trade.  And, for dropping like a rock, that probably puts a little bitter taste in his mouth which most athletes use as motivation for the next few years. I anticipate there will be a chip on his shoulder.

I'd also say this is odd (without actually seeing it), but it's even more odd that it would be a problem if he has an A on his chest. I'm pretty sure there is nothing here, and it may just be a little creative individualism coming through. 

I don't know much about Prince George, but if they aren't that good, I wonder if he is traded to a better team? And if he is traded, I wonder how much more production he could get?

You need to watch it, I think it's all semantics and an overzealous take and exaggeration.

Prince George will be a good place for us to keep an eye on him and lead that team as possibly an "A" and the Wild assist and be involved with development, similar to Kumpulainen in Oshawa.

54 minutes ago, Up North Guy said:

That would be so much fun. Let's get the old rivalry back in vogue. Screw the Hawks and their always getting the top prospect when they need it.

Don't want to be that guy to yell conspiracy, but the NHL sure did them a huge favor with what happen within their franchise with Brad Aldrich and the number of people in the know with no action taken with the sexual assault of Kyle Beach and others.

To think they only were fined 2 million dollars and that they took a first/second round pick from Arizona for interviewing prospect early in the same year?

It doesn't add up in my eyes and Bedard should be in Anaheim and Chicago should have forfeited their whole draft year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mnfaninnc said:

I would think that because the other wing also produced well, it might very well be the playmaking of Heidt in this one. 

I think Hiedt is an excellent playmaker. I don't disagree that the line benefitted from him. My concern is his transition to the NHL as someone who isn't good defensively and doesn't have great size or physicality in his game.

Ziemmer has a solid frame, producing at lot of reverse checks, makes plays in front of the net(redirects), and has a great shot. I'm thinking he may develop into a very solid 2-way player and someone you likely would want on one of the PP lines.

Ziemmer(6', 202 lbs) throws his weight around when he can, and he's a scorer. He scored 30 goals the prior year. He's scored at least .4 goals per game each of the last 3 years in the WHL, but jumped up to .6 goals per game last season.

https://lakingsinsider.com/2023/08/10/2023-draft-evaluation-koehn-ziemmer/

Hiedt has zero seasons at or above .4 goals per game there so far, but was at .36 last season. That doesn't mean that I think Hiedt will fail. I think he'll be a solid investment too. And I could certainly be wrong about Ziemmer, but he sounds like someone that should have been drafted higher.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Imyourhuckleberry said:

I think Hiedt is an excellent playmaker. I don't disagree that the line benefitted from him. My concern is his transition to the NHL as someone who isn't good defensively and doesn't have great size or physicality in his game.

Ziemmer has a solid frame, producing at lot of reverse checks, makes plays in front of the net(redirects), and has a great shot. I'm thinking he may develop into a very solid 2-way player and someone you likely would want on one of the PP lines.

Ziemmer(6', 202 lbs) throws his weight around when he can, and he's a scorer. He scored 30 goals the prior year. He's scored at least .4 goals per game each of the last 3 years in the WHL, but jumped up to .6 goals per game last season.

https://lakingsinsider.com/2023/08/10/2023-draft-evaluation-koehn-ziemmer/

Hiedt has zero seasons at or above .4 goals per game there so far, but was at .36 last season. That doesn't mean that I think Hiedt will fail. I think he'll be a solid investment too. And I could certainly be wrong about Ziemmer, but he sounds like someone that should have been drafted higher.

Last year play, while playing w Ziemmer, Heidt in 2022-23 with Prince George in 68 games,  had 25 goals, 72 apples (led the team), 97 points (2nd on the team), 36 pim and was a  -3. In the playoffs in 9 games, 2 goals, 6 apples, 8 points, 9 pim   +2. 

I'm not worried about the two years before. If he has that many apples last year, the goal production to me is not a factor as 25 is just fine. The penalty minutes speaks to his involvement and physicality.

Heidt, speed/total package > Ziemmer, "who he plays with" on the line ala the 3rd round pick.

The Wild don't need to rush this pick and he's a solid first round value and we can work on the D, we dont need him to take up the front of the net if he can fly by for apples.

• Like 1

Hockey Wilderness Contributor
On 8/11/2023 at 7:45 PM, Mateo3xm said:

Did anyone notice after he scored that he almost never joined his teammates to celebrate?

he was always celebrating by himself…

just thought that was an interesting and puzzling observation.

With no context into the inner workings of the team, it could be an "act like you've been there" culture. 

• Like 1

On 8/13/2023 at 11:03 AM, mnfaninnc said:

I don't know much about Prince George, but if they aren't that good, I wonder if he is traded to a better team? And if he is traded, I wonder how much more production he could get?

Depends on definition of good.  They were 37-24-7 last season and played in the playoffs. They'll lose some talent and fill in with younger players, so hard to say how good they'll be, but they were 2nd in their division and 8th out of 22 teams in the WHL in points last season. Kamloops was #1 in that division--the Iowa Wild are adding Kyle Masters and Caedan Bankier from them this year.

It took me a couple days to realize that this just ranked Riley Hiedt 2 spots higher on the prospect list than Stramel, who was drafted 43 slots earlier.

While it felt like Stramel went slightly early and Hiedt fell further than he may have deserved, it seems kind of odd that Hockey Wilderness has already tabbed Hiedt as the better prospect. Perhaps not wrong, but surprising...

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Imyourhuckleberry said:

It took me a couple days to realize that this just ranked Riley Hiedt 2 spots higher on the prospect list than Stramel, who was drafted 43 slots earlier.

While it felt like Stramel went slightly early and Hiedt fell further than he may have deserved, it seems kind of odd that Hockey Wilderness has already tabbed Hiedt as the better prospect. Perhaps not wrong, but surprising...

I'm happy to have both, it will allow us to bring thunder and lightning to our lineup!

This whole ranking process is so speculative as to where these kids end up, the team dynamics, coaching, opportunity, injuries, it like going to Vegas looking to win it all sometimes.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Imyourhuckleberry said:

Depends on definition of good.  They were 37-24-7 last season and played in the playoffs. They'll lose some talent and fill in with younger players, so hard to say how good they'll be, but they were 2nd in their division and 8th out of 22 teams in the WHL in points last season. Kamloops was #1 in that division--the Iowa Wild are adding Kyle Masters and Caedan Bankier from them this year.

Cant wait to see Bankier after his World Juniors debut and hope Masters is healthy for a IA WIld run this year