Hockey Wilderness

Article: Can the Wild's Top Line Play "Small Ball"?

Tony Abbott

2 hours ago, Cole_Train said:

I know it’ll fall on def ears but I’d like to see the top line with Kk-Rossi-Boldy, at least see what it can do in preseason. Rossi and Boldy have had past chemistry and I think their games could complement each others. Boldy brings some size to the line. Rossi should be able to find Kk regularly with his setup skills. Second line of Jojo-EK-Zuc could also work. Jojo brings speed, Ek will dig out pucks and be net front presence, Zuc can be a distributor and set up man. Either way, I’d like to see Dean experiment with what he’s got and not just do the same old until he has to. Dean doesn’t have a history of being the flexible and experimental however. 

JoJo, EEK and Boldy could more than likely be our best line and it would not be good to break that up. Singing JoJo after the season is the exact reason they liked what they seen at the end of the season and want more of that.

Most teams are going to focus on whoever is playing with KK and his line, which we know one will be Zucci. Now is Rossi the fit there, we'll see. Rossi is also a distributer and to see him between KK and Zucci would solve the problem of what to do with him. If he can just get a few apples to set his hair on fire and get some confidence. With Rossi on the top line comes the best D out there and the physical pressure he is adjusting too yet.

The key words is "DE and experiment" don't usually go together for more than two to three shift at any given time.

• Like 1

On 8/8/2023 at 2:12 PM, TS102 said:

Kaprizov is a non-issue in the size department. He's got a ton of muscle for his size, is impossible to knock off the puck, throws hits, and can win any puck battle along the boards. Reminds me of Peter Forsberg in a lot of ways. Rossi and Zuccy can't do this, however. They get pushed around very easily, but what is the solution? If Rossi is playing bottom 6, we should have traded him. If Rossi plays top 6, does that mean we break up Boldy/Ek/Johansson line, which was having success? Curious to see what happens.

TS, I think you are on to something, but I would never break up that second line.

If you put KK, Rossi and Zucci together, speed kills, it's the only way. Break outs, quick passes, KK passes, whom no one else can do or see and playing behind the net and using our "D" men to execute the plan on entries.