Hockey Wilderness

Article: Charlie Stramel Is Ready To Put Last Season's Struggles Behind Him

Luke Sims

On 8/7/2023 at 7:21 PM, vonlonster67 said:

With the talent we are going to have and the salary cap we expect in 25-26 BG will have whatever coach he wishes that are available. 

If you want to settle for what you see on the ice as far as coaching? We're missing out.

Did you see what Vegas did with their coaching decisions. Do you want to make a Cup run with DE.

We're not gonna miss out on anything with BG. If you want to hope for the best keep living in DE shadow. The cap is an excuse, we had the opportunity in the playoffs the past two years and got outcoached.

So the coaches available will probably be ones that were fired right? I am guessing that is not because they won too many playoff matches or cups.  Head coaches that are winning usually aren't readily available.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, IllicitFive said:

So the coaches available will probably be ones that were fired right? I am guessing that is not because they won too many playoff matches or cups.  Head coaches that are winning usually aren't readily available.

Not always the case, Bruce Cassidy would be the best example of that and was fired from Boston for who knows why and landed in Vegas, wins a Cup. DeBoer leaves Vegas, doing fine in Dallas. Paul Maurice getting fired in Winnipeg and doing fine in Florida. Rod Brind'Amour coming up as an assistant in Carolina and being successful. There are qualified assistance out there also.

I agree with what your saying, there are the losers and retreads. I know BG already has a list or idea of who he would want or has had that conversation already in case. BG is connected in the NHL and we are fortunate to have him when it comes to those connections whether in players, coaches, GM's and the like.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, IllicitFive said:

There might be situations where Sullivan wants out of Pittsburgh or Cassidy gets fired in Vegas.(Fickle managers) Maurice left Winnipeg due to dysfunction. DeBoer gets fired often and is regularly in the Conference Final. For the most part, you're right.

I think there's possibilities out there. Jon Cooper is pretty steady in Tampa and I don't see Brind A'Muour getting canned but something could change to allow the Wild to upgrade. In the meantime, I don't think there's any reason to change the coach. Need a good reason. A sideways move isn't gonna make a lot of sense.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, vonlonster67 said:

Which one is it, cauz I'm now confused?

I think DE is capable of winning a cup. I believe BG thinks differently and may axe him before he gets a chance w/o being hamstrung by the cap.

Personally, I don't think BG ever wanted to hire him beyond his interim. DE just didn't give him a chance by getting the team to keep winning.

• Confused 1

23 hours ago, vonlonster67 said:

Freddy is a product of his hard work and commitment, same with Hartman when he chooses to play; Dewey2 has worked his ass off in IA, DE had nothing to do with developing any of these players. Are you gonna say he developed KK and Boldy too?

They've all improved under DE. I didn't even mention Shaw or DuHammer.

So what are your qualifications for giving DE credit? Turning a 5'th rounder into a barnburner? How many coaches do that? Under your qualifications I'm sure it's just a matter of your perspective whether or not a player was helped along by a coach or if the player did it on his own.  The conversation seems to be getting kind of childish now IMO.

20 hours ago, joebou15 said:

I agree with you. The State of Hockey only enables Minnesota Hockey exceptionalism. It's entitlement that the NHL somehow owes the Wild and state the cup for being the one state that pumps out Hockey talent.

That said, I don't believe Dean is doing anything to make the team better. He's just trying to not to mess up. And in the postseason, that's what gets him beat. Look at his overall coaching record in any postseason in any league. It's not anything to get excited over.

Fair enough.

52 minutes ago, Willy the poor boy said:

So what are your qualifications for giving DE credit? Turning a 5'th rounder into a barnburner? How many coaches do that? Under your qualifications I'm sure it's just a matter of your perspective whether or not a player was helped along by a coach or if the player did it on his own.  The conversation seems to be getting kind of childish now IMO.

Agree to disagree only, but give me some examples where he has had an impact on one player other than Freddy Hockey....time is not on DE side for this team's future

1 hour ago, Willy the poor boy said:

I think DE is capable of winning a cup. I believe BG thinks differently and may axe him before he gets a chance w/o being hamstrung by the cap.

Personally, I don't think BG ever wanted to hire him beyond his interim. DE just didn't give him a chance by getting the team to keep winning.

I don't know how you qualify that statement with his track record in the playoffs? He's a good regular season coach playing a team once every three weeks. Head to head with the same team in a seven game series is a no go, he cant make adjustments or react quick enough to the other coaches adjustments.

That's why BG wants to axe him, just like he gave him the "vote of confidence" at the end of the season. The real thinking for BG is two more years and he's gone. 

11 minutes ago, vonlonster67 said:

Agree to disagree only, but give me some examples where he has had an impact on one player other than Freddy Hockey....time is not on DE side for this team's future

I get what you’re saying but I think DE & crew can be given some credit for player development. Development doesn’t stop when you graduate from the AHL. Ek being a prime example. However, not every player is going to develop in the NHL even and they have short careers. 

That being said, it’s debatable if he’ll be able to develop Rossi and the young guns coming up in the system. But it’s tricky if you put more blame on the AHL coaches for that or NHL coaches. 

Edited by M_Nels
Added last sentence
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Willy the poor boy said:

Love DuHammer title~

Real question is, does Guerin trust Dean to win in the playoffs? So far it appears so, since Guerin hasn't fired him. His regular season and development is good. Will Guerin be ready to move on if the playoffs trend continues and the Wild approach penalty expiration? It could go either way but Dean needs to win a playoff series cause even though he's been handicapped it just begins to feel like the playoff losses are attributed to the coach. Maybe this year the Wild can go in with a healthy lineup and avoid some kind of goaltending drama for round one...

19 hours ago, vonlonster67 said:

Not always the case, Bruce Cassidy would be the best example of that and was fired from Boston for who knows why and landed in Vegas, wins a Cup. DeBoer leaves Vegas, doing fine in Dallas. Paul Maurice getting fired in Winnipeg and doing fine in Florida. Rod Brind'Amour coming up as an assistant in Carolina and being successful. There are qualified assistance out there also.

I agree with what your saying, there are the losers and retreads. I know BG already has a list or idea of who he would want or has had that conversation already in case. BG is connected in the NHL and we are fortunate to have him when it comes to those connections whether in players, coaches, GM's and the like.

DeBoer has bounced around for a reason, he always has a big first year then regresses. For Bruce, I agree who knows why he was let go but that is a very rare instance, I would argue it was because he couldn't win it with a stacked Boston team. Rod fits the same mold as DE to an extent, also hasn't won a cup but great regular seasons. I think Dean needs to be allowed to have a few more years because he has done very well with scraps and 15 mil cap penalty, imagine 2 players taking up 15,wether an 11 mil and 4 or 8mil and 7. Those are big assets. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, IllicitFive said:

DeBoer has bounced around for a reason, he always has a big first year then regresses. For Bruce, I agree who knows why he was let go but that is a very rare instance, I would argue it was because he couldn't win it with a stacked Boston team. Rod fits the same mold as DE to an extent, also hasn't won a cup but great regular seasons. I think Dean needs to be allowed to have a few more years because he has done very well with scraps and 15 mil cap penalty, imagine 2 players taking up 15,wether an 11 mil and 4 or 8mil and 7. Those are big assets. 

I'm not sure the Wild are going to be able to give him the opportunity this year or next I see him lacking. His playoff strategies and a need for addressing those voids. Would two players help in a playoff game, obviously, I'm not blind to that.

DE has no adjustments in his repertoire when it comes to those games thus far. They fought like hell to go up two games against St Louis ad Dallas, they adjust, he stays with the idea "of what got them there". His rigid lack of change of lines kills him. I believe we had enough talent to beat St. Louis and Dallas, but got outcoached and I hold him responsible for the lost focus, that's his job also. Could we have advanced further, probably not.

I think the opportunity this year is fringe playoffs if we can stay healthy. Can he do any better in the future with a stacked team like Cassidy in 25-26? If we handled his coaching deficiencies or opportunities with him, like he does our young players coming up trying to earn a chance, he would be coaching in IA in the AHL.

18 hours ago, M_Nels said:

I get what you’re saying but I think DE & crew can be given some credit for player development. Development doesn’t stop when you graduate from the AHL. Ek being a prime example. However, not every player is going to develop in the NHL even and they have short careers. 

That being said, it’s debatable if he’ll be able to develop Rossi and the young guns coming up in the system. But it’s tricky if you put more blame on the AHL coaches for that or NHL coaches. 

Exactly. And, If DE has a reputation for anything it's being a developmental coach. Also part of being an NHL coach or really any other is putting players in positions for them to have success. I think Deano has done well at that also.