Hockey Wilderness

Article: Which (Non-All-Time-Great) Former Wild Player Would Help Minnesota Most?

Tony Abbott

10 hours ago, Will D. Ness said:

Faber is 20 years old.  He went straight into the playoffs.  Don't let Addison's circumstances create this narrative that we will not play young D.  It will be a player by player analysis and determination if they are ready to play.  

I'm aware. If anyone else comes in as a 2-time defensive player of the year for their conference, specifically for their defense and skating, not for offense, then I'm sure the Wild might look at them like they did Faber. I don't know that the Wild have a bunch of guys like that in the pipeline.

Doesn't mean the Wild don't have talented guys in development, I just suspect they will want to make those guys earn a position in the top 6 rather than hand it to them. That has been how Guerin and Evason generally operate.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, joebou15 said:

As great as those two have been, the Wild have to get younger and faster. I wrote about how Khusnutdinov's KHL kontrakt lines up perfectly with Zuccarello's contract expiration. It makes almost too much sense. 

As far as Khus&*( goes, I think having all of Ohgren, Yurov, and Khus$%^&* coming over at the same time will really shake up the lineup. This was, of course, written prior to Yurov's 1 year deal. Do you see Yurov or Khus$%^&* now in that position?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, mnfaninnc said:

My suggestion would be a young Backy, or a pre-MS Josh Harding. Harding put up some great numbers and his illness really set this team back. It ruined Kuemper as far as we're concerned, and Backy had to try and play with a blown out groin. Harding would be my choice here as I love a righty-lefty goalie combo.

Next would be defense. I love the Brent Burns suggestion, and this would be my pick, but I'd also like to highlight a young Marco Scandella and possibly a Nick Leddy. 

Harding was putting up a Vezina-caliber season before MS complications ended his career. He's a great choice. Completely agree about his early departure ruining Kuemper for the Wild. Kuemper had to step up and be "the guy" before he was ready.

Not disagreeing with your ultimate defenseman pick of Burns, but I love the idea of young Marco Scandella. A lot of similarities with Jacob Middleton (Spurgeon's partner, big body, and physical play). Scandella could be a great partner for Addison, providing a reasonably good security blanket as well as a role model for physically and mentally engaged play.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, mnfaninnc said:

The $5m in cap savings is $6m-ELC of Yurov or Khus^&*. I would have to disagree with KK making the call. Last I checked, Shooter is still the GM and he makes those decisions. What I saw from Zuccarello from February on suggested to me that Father Time has his eyes on him, and that Zuccarello's hitting the age wall. 

Wasn't a player making a call like that exactly why we didn't like Suter? KK wants to win more than anything. I think he'll trust Shooter to make the right moves, and he does have a relationship with Yurov.

I don't think Zuccy finishes this season on that line. If his play resembles the end of last year he will be dropping like a stone through the lines. KK wants to win and BG will listen but do what he thinks is needed. He is at the age where minor injuries turn into season long injuries. I really like him but I believe his time is about up. There are a few on the team that may fit into that category also. Moose is a prime example along with Merrill and Goose. Johannson is an injury magnet also. The team will be challenged to save cap space to cover call ups. Not trying to be a downer but the NHL is a tough league and like Mnfann said "father time is undefeated.".

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Velgey said:

Harding was putting up a Vezina-caliber season before MS complications ended his career. He's a great choice.

Nice one! I agree. For goalies that's a great one and his was a tough story. One more notch on the Wild fan's belt for hopeful optimism striked down in high level demoralizing circumstances. 

How about Brian Rolston?. In his 3 years here he put up over 30 goals and was over 60pts in 2 out of 3 seasons(59 the other) and aside from that one season was a healthy plus minus(career +65) and very reliable with the wild, playing in almost every game. 

Other players always praised his locker room presence and professionalism. He would probably be my pick or Brent Burns.

• Like 2

On 8/7/2023 at 4:32 PM, mnfaninnc said:

The $5m in cap savings is $6m-ELC of Yurov or Khus^&*. I would have to disagree with KK making the call. Last I checked, Shooter is still the GM and he makes those decisions. What I saw from Zuccarello from February on suggested to me that Father Time has his eyes on him, and that Zuccarello's hitting the age wall. 

Wasn't a player making a call like that exactly why we didn't like Suter? KK wants to win more than anything. I think he'll trust Shooter to make the right moves, and he does have a relationship with Yurov.

Careful where you tread too early, we want to resign KK. I know he wants to win, but a rash, hurried, lack of input decision could cause hurt feelings.

It's a delicate balance and not a matter of fact I'm the GM so that's how it. BG is smart enough to massage this along.