Hockey Wilderness

Free Agency Opens

Protec

Verified Member

My guess is the Wild prefer in-house options to step up for the bottom half of the line-ups. 

As far as any UFAs go, there might be one or two bargain bin deals? No chance for middle of the lineup players or above, to me. I prefer more center competition for camps and hopefully off-season training is amazing this year lol.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jon said:

My guess is the Wild prefer in-house options to step up for the bottom half of the line-ups. 

As far as any UFAs go, there might be one or two bargain bin deals? No chance for middle of the lineup players or above, to me. I prefer more center competition for camps and hopefully off-season training is amazing this year lol.

I expect to see some shorter-term stuff similar to what Guerin has done before. I agree not likely any of the Betruzzi, Tarasenko level players.

Nosek, Gurianov, or some other guys would add depth. A trade would be nice for that scoring winger and there's still players like Lindholm out there.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Protec said:

Shucks!!! Ryan Graves to the Pens on a 27M/6year deal. Pretty fair number though for a big, young, LD who can score some points.

Mostly remember Ryan Graves for getting completely burned on that goal Kaprizov scored on New Jersey two years ago.

3 hours ago, Tony Abbott said:

Mostly remember Ryan Graves for getting completely burned on that goal Kaprizov scored on New Jersey two years ago.

I remember him being tough against MN while in Colorado. The plus minus numbers combined with 20+ points capability, and the reach of a guy who's 6'4" is why I liked Soucy or Graves for MN. Vancouver and Pittsburgh won't be disappointed.

Merrill and Goligoski are okay but Spurgeon or Brodin getting hurt would really put the pressure on and Middleton isn't a top pair guy by himself. If he were to go down who fills that hole? I think the defense in MN is pretty solid but has room to upgrade. A big durable guy who gives you some offense would be worth it compared to the 3-4 guys at the bottom of MN's defense lineup getting shuffled. Especially a bigger, younger player. 

When you see a guy like that go for 4M it's fair to ask whether Merrill, Goligoski, or Middleton are a better option? The Pens got some reliability for a fair price.

Arizona signs Kerfoot.

Detroit gets Gothisbhere and Christian Fischer.

Florida signs Evan Rodrigues and Gerry Mayhew.

GMBG's comments made it sound like they wanna improve on what they just did with minor adjustments. Wonder if tomorrow or after the 4th things will get going?

While it's highly unlikely to happen, I would be OK with the Wild signing Tarasenko to a deal. Tarasenko could take Zuccarello's spot on the 1st line, and give the Wild some extra scoring potential. Kaprizov might not like the idea of trading his buddy Zuccarello, but he might be ok with it, if the replacement was a fellow Russian like Tarasenko.

Domi to Toronto. That'll sell some jerseys.

The Wild looking to get Boeser? Is trades what we should expect?

Still no Nosek to MN which I've been waiting for. More grit than a MNDOT snowplow convoy if the Wild can get this guy...

Like to see Gustaffsson sign first.

^^^

Fine with me. I believe Tarasenko has won a Cup and is over the hill mentally. He's got no drive left and has made enough of a name for himself that he will soak a few more teams before it's over. I don't think MN wants aging guys like Vanek, Heatley, Tarasenko who are on the tail end of their careers. It might have worked out for Cullen or Staal for a buit but those weren't expensive guys then.

MN will need to navigate it's own internal obstacles. With Duhaime and Gustaffsson going for arbitration there's not gonna be much money left. MN will have 6-7M. AFP Analytics' contract projection for Gustavsson is either a one-year deal at about $3.16 million or three years at about $4.24 million. Duhaime and Addison need deals so can Guerin get all three guys signed? Addison is another guy who the Wild will need to take a big step. Entirely on defense. Faber being the opposite, all defense is a nice balance.

Losing Dumba. I guess we'll see how important a player he was for MN.

I wouldn't mind having #11 back. He always played hard. I think he would have been less entitled or less outspoken had the environment and culture in MN been different under XGMCF. Too bad cause he and Suter both became victims of their own contracts. At the time there was no reason to worry ahead of CBA changes but those guys had to realize at some point they were screwed and time in MN would sour. Especially, given the team's perennial shortfalls.

I think Parise could actually be rewelcomed back to the Wild. Suter, I hope gets career ending diarrhea. Always have, always will.