Hockey Wilderness

Article: Mocking the Minnesota Wild's 2023 Draft

Tony Abbott

Perrault stats (playing against other 5’8”-6’rs) are clearly better than stramel but if this team with zuc/97/grizzle/Dewzy/SHAWZY/Rossi/Addison/spurgeon/mojo/Fred…wants to stop getting bullied in playoffs we need to add some beef.  
#where’sthebeef 

#pleasedon’tbeJamesShepard

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, jgodwin17 said:

Also worth noting that Stramel’s stock fell because a bad freshman year, another player who had that happen was Matt Boldy, and he turned out okay. Whether Stramel can pull that off who knows though. 

Boldy scored nearly a point per game (26 in 33) his freshman year and was a +16.

Stramel had what, 7-8 points in 33 games?

I know, different teams, different conferences, etc.  but Stramel had a whole different level of down freshman year than Boldy.

Might end up being a great pick.  He was highly touted at one time.  But, I’d have gone with a few different guys there.

Also stings a little to see Chicago and St. Louis absolutely loading up.  I would’ve even preferred Colorado’s pick of Ritchie over Stamel.  That was a tough first round to watch.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Beast said:

Boldy scored nearly a point per game (26 in 33) his freshman year and was a +16.

Stramel had what, 7-8 points in 33 games?

I know, different teams, different conferences, etc.  but Stramel had a whole different level of down freshman year than Boldy.

Might end up being a great pick.  He was highly touted at one time.  But, I’d have gone with a few different guys there.

Also stings a little to see Chicago and St. Louis absolutely loading up.  I would’ve even preferred Colorado’s pick of Ritchie over Stamel.  That was a tough first round to watch.

I think he had 12 points and was a -10 (not sure how much that means considering I think the entire team was in the negatives), and as you mentioned, tougher competition and much worse team in a much easier role. I'm just saying there is potential for him to turn out.

But overall I agree with you. I'm pretty unhappy with this draft round. It sucks watching Moore drop to 19 and Chicago grabbing him when we probably could have traded up a few spots and grabbed him. It also sucks that we could have grabbed Ritchie, Stenburg, or Musty, and went for Stramel instead. Really puzzling decision. I kind of understand it in the need for right handed shots and power forwards, but I still feel it's a huge stretch.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mateo3xm said:

Supposedly Pronman said Stramel wouldn’t make it past the Rangers but still a bit of a puzzling pick.

Ritchie had a dislocated shoulder the entire year and still put up a point per game pace on bad team.

I hate the Aves.

I assume the big 10 is better hockey than ohl so stats might be apple’s vs oranges.  True?

1 hour ago, Pewterschmidt said:

I assume the big 10 is better hockey than ohl so stats might be apple’s vs oranges.  

Yeah tough to compare the two we will see what happens.

I hope I’m wrong about Stramel and he ends up like Dylan Holloway from Wis and has a great 2nd year.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Quebec1648 said:

The Wild just gambled on a pick, when there were better choices still on the board. Stenburg, Musty and Ritche were available, yet the Wild chose Stramel? Stramel would have been there in round 2, no need to take him in round 1. 

No. He wouldn't have. Some other team would've taken him at the back of round 1, or he'd have gotten scooped up in round 2 quickly.

No chance he made it to #53. 

At worst, he's a future Ek replacement on a shutdown 3rd line. 

10 hours ago, Mateo3xm said:

Supposedly Pronman said Stramel wouldn’t make it past the Rangers but still a bit of a puzzling pick.

Ritchie had a dislocated shoulder the entire year and still put up a point per game pace on bad team.

I hate the Aves.

Not that puzzling. We need more size and we need Cs. Stramel is both. 

He would not have made it to us in round 2, so we took him in round 1. He's got a lower ceiling than other guys who were available but also a much higher floor, which should allow him to hit the NHL more quickly even if its just in a bottom-6 role.

At least he fits that profile better than Rossi, Dean Evason is gonna love this guy. 

• Like 1

Agreed. Stramel, Edstrom, Molgaard, Cristall, and some other guys who play center will not be around by 53rd.

I could see the Wild trying to trade up perhaps, but the Wild's position in the pick order was gonna force them to decide whether to take a player like Perreault who woulda been considered the BPA at that moment or grab the guy they needed from the top remaining group. Stramel will have some good coaches and objectives so polishing his rough edges will be a great plan for the next year. It's not like he needs to add NHL size/strength. I like the pick. It's the anti-Rossi reaction draft. I believe one large, tough Minnesota guy can compensate for little Euro finesse'rs...

12 hours ago, jgodwin17 said:

I kind of understand it in the need for right handed shots and power forwards, but I still feel it's a huge stretch.

I'm a diehard ' you gotta take the best player available in the first round' kind a guy. This was a reach and certainly wasn't the best available. What a disappointment.

• Like 1

^^^

You wanna talk about a reach, look at Toronto. Cowan at 28th.

Goes to show teams have their own evaluations and lists that might not align at all with writers, scouts, and fans. So who is right? For the sake of argument, I'd say the teams must be confident in their picks for a reason.

• Like 1

The Wild took Stramel because of his size. In their defense, those guys are hard to come by, but besides size they also need talent. 

A lot has been said about WI. having a bad team this year. Well, great players standout, great players make their teammates and teams better. 

That being said, he's young and can develop, I'm sure they see something and hopefully their right but the track record so far isn't their favor.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, Protec said:

Agreed. Stramel, Edstrom, Molgaard, Cristall, and some other guys who play center will not be around by 53rd.

I'm not opposed to Stramel being added to the Wild, but I wouldn't be surprised if Edstrom is better, so using the pick they did to acquire him seemed mildly questionable.  I hope the Wild got it right, but I would have liked the selection better if they acquired him after trading back late in the 1st and picking up more draft picks. I would have preferred trading back later in the 1st if any value was being offered to do so, whether in this draft or the next.

You can read reasons why Stramel could succeed, and the size is nice, but it's not hard to also see reasons why he might have lasted until the range of #32-#40.

• Like 1

Yeah, I noticed there was a significant value on picks for the organizations in this draft.

Ideas are great to fire out there but I don't see the Wild doing too much crazy stuff. Their current assets they could move who are NHL ready aren't top tier guys. Ahead of free agency we saw some action, but will that continue?

I would think teams are gonna regroup now that the draft is complete and look at ahead to UFA signings and begin working new deals up or picking up where things might have left off. The nice thing is the Wild aren't in any kind of urgent or forced situation. 

• Like 1