Hockey Wilderness

Article: Mocking the Minnesota Wild's 2023 Draft

Tony Abbott

Just now, Beast said:

It went from looking like we might get Moore to Stramel.  That’s really disappointing.

Truth.

I do like the idea of a big right shot center who is also a power forward, especially one from Minnesota. That said, I don’t know if this was a good pick. I guess we will find out in a few years. Let’s hope Rossi really puts it together this year.

• Like 1

I really don’t like this pick.

I kept hearing over and over that he’s more of a 3rd line grinder who isn’t particularly smart and can’t think the game at a high pace.

supposedly his competitiveness and skating are really good but his offense is very limited.

I do not get this at all.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Quebec1648 said:

The Wild just gambled on a pick, when there were better choices still on the board. Stenburg, Musty and Ritche were available, yet the Wild chose Stramel? Stramel would have been there in round 2, no need to take him in round 1. 

Ritchie, Musty, And Stenberg would have all been safer choices. Maybe we are looking to trade for another first?

Stramel is a big gamble, probably would have been available in the 2nd. Not really feeling too comfortable with it myself.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jgodwin17 said:

Also worth noting that Stramel’s stock fell because a bad freshman year, another player who had that happen was Matt Boldy, and he turned out okay. Whether Stramel can pull that off who knows though. 

Boldy had 26pts in 34 games his freshman year, not 12pts in 33 games. Quite a difference there.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mateo3xm said:

Boldy had 26pts in 34 games his freshman year, not 12pts in 33 games. Quite a difference there.

Boldy played for a stacked BC team. Stramel played for a bad UW team where everyone underperformed and the coach was fired. It will be interesting to see how he does for Hastings this year.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mateo3xm said:

Notable he had virtually none when he played at center and made up all those other points when he was moved to wing at the end of the year, and wing is a much easier role to adapt to.

Again, not saying that Stramel will turn out to be anything like Boldy, but you never know how a player will turn out based on a single season.