Hockey Wilderness

Article: Who Are Some Early Names Being Mocked To the Wild In the Draft?

Justin Hein

Verified Member
On 5/30/2023 at 1:14 PM, mnfaninnc said:

I will be "rending of garments" disappointed if we choose an LW or small, puck moving defender. If this happens to our first rounder, move me into the fire Brackett column.

I don't believe we will be able to move into the top 10, so I'll leave those guys alone. My top 3 are Oliver Moore, Nate Danielson, and Calum Ritchie. I'd like to have all 3 if trades could be made to accomplish that, but we should be aiming for 2/3 of these candidates.

Generally speaking, yes we should be expecting a role player at 21. We could expect a better prospect at, say, 14. But, this isn't your regular draft, and, really, neither have the last 2 been. This, I think, is the final draft where the Covid closings have affected development. There's a better picture here, but, I think you'll find more busts and more diamonds eventually. This draft is supposed to be a 2 decades' draft, much like the '03 one. 

Tell me, was Ryan Getzlaf at 19 a role player? Brent Burns at 20? Ryan Kesler at 24? 

We need centers, all top picks should be focused not just on guys who can play center, but real NHL projectable centers! We need a minimum of 2 picks here. That means someone on this team will need to be moved for us to accomplish that. 

If we can get those 2 Cs, our rebuild will be declared over. Oh, there will still be a lag in the results, but we will have rebuilt the full projected roster and will only need to make tweaks (like gaining size). 

My hope is that by that time, Mike Modano, Mikko Koivu, yet to be named defensive guru, and Niklas Backstrom will begin to mold these guys into the players they need to be. Bombadir, Hendricks, and McCleod can still do something, but the above alumni need to start taking leads in player development. Those names above are recognizable names that are respected by these kids. The other 3 simply are not, unless there are fighters in the group. 

We agreed to disagree when we first interacted. And now, I really haven’t had a lot to add or challenge ever since lmao. Basically been agreeing with you👍😬 I miss the challenges but I like how things are on the same page too

11 hours ago, mnfaninnc said:

I am not opposed to the David Edstrom idea. Having another Eriksson Ek on the team, to me, sounds like a good idea. Strength can be gained by the player, he just needs to attend Camp Ek/Ohgren. 

He's got size, but he also appears to check the Brackett boxes of good skating, high hockey IQ, 200 foot game. He would be a lower choice in the 1st round, more like around 30. If we weren't able to get a higher pick to take Moore or Danielson, and took Ritchie at 21, perhaps we could trade back into the 1st round and pick up someone like Edstrom? 

Just out of curiosity, for those who scour over the draft more than I do, if Eriksson Ek were coming into this draft year instead of 2015, how high would he have been ranked? 2015 was a pretty good draft year too. 

I just do not see Moore or Danielson being there for us but crazier things have happened.

obviously if they were there I’d prefer them but I don’t think Ive seen any mock draft where they fall to us. 

with any draft there are risers and fallers for various different reasons, that’s why it’s so exciting to me.

id probably take Ritchie over Edstrom but the fact Edstrom did so well in the best Swedish pro league has me conflicted.

Otto Stenberg had a hell of a showing at the U18 Championships so that’s something to think about. He had 16pts in 7 games and was 4th in points.

Ritchie and Edstrom both had 9pts in U18 Championships.

Pronman has Edstrom at 18 and Ritchie at 27

last year Pronman somehow predicted how that draft went in the top 5 and I know he talks to a lot of scouts on various different teams about these prospects.

I watched Edstrom play USA @ WJC-18 Tourney and he is definitely as advertised.

I'm not sure he is gonna be a pick in the mid-late around #21. Too much time after WJC-18 tourney for him to sustain Pronman's  #18.

I could see him slide as there is an immense amount of talent in '23. I could see him sliding into the second round and Brackett moving up to take the Swede early 2nd round. He's big and rangy and has some chippiness too him.

I miss some size to our game? If we had only kept Alex Tuch in the fold. ?To lose him for Dumba, and know he would later be traded for Eichel.

5 hours ago, vonlonster67 said:

I miss some size to our game? If we had only kept Alex Tuch in the fold. ?To lose him for Dumba, and know he would later be traded for Eichel.

I’m hindsight it was bad but Dumba was on a crazy trajectory and we didn’t want to lose him. If you look at his stats he was on his way to being a pk subban B Burns type defenseman who had a cannon of a shot.

after he tore his pec he was never the same. 
he increased his points every year before that injury and probably would have had 20-25 goals.

I really really wish we would start making sure our prospects are big over drafting anyone under 6ft. This team desperately needs size, it’s absolutely important in my opinion.

• Like 1