Hockey Wilderness

Article: The Wild May Have To Downsize Their Grit

Luke Sims

I'm thinking the Wild are gonna need some redundancy for Ek. Nosek is an affordable option for the Wild. His numbers don't stand out offensively but he's been a bottom six role player for Vegas and Boston. Like Freddy or Hartman could he be more productive with better guys? Based on his talents between more offensively inclined players Nosek might have better numbers but more importantly is the depth and affordability plus some gains in areas the Wild have struggled.

The Wild probably won't have a true 1C player unless Ek really takes another step offensively. The center group would be better with Nosek and having a good face off guy would help if they practice against one another to get better in that area. It's a veteran player who has only been on good teams in recent years and not too old. I think he'd be a good fit in MN. You'd have Ek, Nosek, Freddy, Hartman, Steel who could all play center. Sure it's not Matthews, Tavares, O'Rielly, but how'd that work out for 20+ million bucks??? Rossi will probably be on the wing to start anyway. Maybe if you could sign Nosek for 2 years, his contract would be up when the penalties fall off and perhaps the cost around Freddy AAV would work?

I liked Nosek and Freddy when they each were UFAs a couple years ago. Nosek signed in Boston for two years and the Wild signed Guadreau. Both players were similar in cost. I think 2.25M would be just right for a solid bottom/middle six journeyman. I look at his last season in Vegas where his numbers were outpacing his other seasons. My gut tells me in Boston the role didn't require much offense. In MN, I think Nosek could be more of a 2C/3C and his style of play would go well with Boldy, Mojo, Beckman, Rossi, or offensive guys to have better balance and give the coach options. For example, if Nosek is also a physical shutdown center who's proven value into the playoffs as a reliable player who can win draws, then Ek isn't the only one who fits that mold. Personally I've thought he was a solid player ever since Vegas made their Cup run and Karlsson, Marschmallost, Haula, Nosek, and Eakin were part of that rotation. To Nosek's credit he's played very consistently in bottom six roles. If you put him with some talented young guys like Rossi, Boldy, or Beckman, I think he could be more of a 30-40 point guy rather than 15-20. The important thing is the Wild could afford to get him and he's got qualities the Wild lack at center. Chances of getting hosed on an expensive contract or a languishing player is very low.

Edited by Protec
  • Like 1