Hockey Wilderness

Article: Can the Wild Afford To Keep Gustavsson This Summer?

Justin Wiggins

3 hours ago, CammieBuckeye29 said:

Y'all can trade Flower back to the Penguins

I believe that could be a really plausible scenario. If Fleury's money is off the salary cap, the Wild can definitely afford Gustavsson, and Wallstedt is just around the corner.

With the salary cap situation, I think the Wild might need to accelerate the goalie development and live with the results in order to have the best situation a few years down the road.

Wallstedt only turns 21 around the start of next season, but he's a top prospect with a good 2nd half in the AHL and may not be far from Fleury in ability when next season rolls around.

• Like 1

I'd expect GMBG to get it done - he took a big chance on Goose2, and I bet that opportunity gets reciprocated through a bridge deal until Flower's contract is finished.

It also very much depends on the results of this current playoff run.  Far-fetched scenario: the Wild wins the cup and Flower announces retirement, wanting to leave the NHL on a high note.

We'll just never know. But a future Goose2Wall tandem in net is a fantastic opportunity to build a dynasty caliber club.